• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yeah, somebody listened to me!

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
We have a lady who comes into the vet to buy suparabbit excel, and when speaking to her she said she didn't feed hay as they didn't eat it. I said that 80-90% of their diet should be hay, and she kind of looked like she didn't agree. Well she was in today to buy more and said in the passing that she is feeding them hay as well, and they are eating it! Feel quite pleased with myself, and hopefully have made a difference to the rabbits health!

good for you. wish my nanny would listen to me. her rabbits get fed a big bowl of musili in the morning but they go out to grass all day until evening time when she gives them a biscuit and some herbs. but they get nothing else and i tried to tell she needed to put hay in. she said she wasn't spending anymore on them!! they've never been vaccinated either.

good for you. wish my nanny would listen to me. her rabbits get fed a big bowl of musili in the morning but they go out to grass all day until evening time when she gives them a biscuit and some herbs. but they get nothing else and i tried to tell she needed to put hay in. she said she wasn't spending anymore on them!! they've never been vaccinated either.

well hay isnt essential if they have grass all day to graze on instead as thats what wild rabbits have. but they must have access to it all day.
shame about vaccs tho :( maybe she could at least get the myxi one done?

well i tried and she just shrugged her shoulders and said "awk there fine, i'm not spending anymore money on them" no i tried ti get her to give them hay in the evening but she wouldn't hear of it, they've eaten there way round the wood in the garden and even started taking to the decking. my two hardly chew a thing only thier food. i'm giving them my hutch when i get the bunnies the playhouse and i might casually throw in again about the hay.

What does your nan use in the hutch as bedding? I still think rabbits should have hay even if they are out grazing during the day. If anything it will keep them digestive system going, they should have 24 hour access to some grazing otherwise. Could you not give her some hay?

she just uses sawdust as their bedding. aw i have tried taking to her but she's the type of person who would get annoyed at ya for saying. i was thinking when i'm giving her the hutch i was gonna take round a bag of hay and a toilet pan and sort of educator her into using the toilet pan. i'm sure she'd take alot of advice from me seeing as shes had rabbits longer than me. aw i don't know. the last time she was going away on holiday i'd suggest her bringing them up to mine and was tinking i could tame them a bit and take them to the vets. but she took them down to my mum's who was disgusted with them :roll:

she just uses sawdust as their bedding. aw i have tried taking to her but she's the type of person who would get annoyed at ya for saying. i was thinking when i'm giving her the hutch i was gonna take round a bag of hay and a toilet pan and sort of educator her into using the toilet pan. i'm sure she'd take alot of advice from me seeing as shes had rabbits longer than me. aw i don't know. the last time she was going away on holiday i'd suggest her bringing them up to mine and was tinking i could tame them a bit and take them to the vets. but she took them down to my mum's who was disgusted with them :roll:

how about explaining how much cheaper a large bale of farm hay is and how it can be used as warm bedding now the winter sets in.... it is after all going to save her money on the wood chips which are expensive? i can get a large bale for around £6. that lasts ages(food and bedding) if i had to fork out for wood hcips all the time it woudl cost a fortune its enough using them for hamsters! :) oh yes i agree the hay is essential for when not have access to the grass too sorry i wasnt very clear. some buns cheww more than others and i suspect these arent neutered so will likely chew more than an unneuterd bun too. they are probly wearing down their teeth... oh i know you could give them a large bale of ahy for xmas?!!?!

lol you have very good intution bunlover they are both mother and daugther and unspayed. :roll: well i'm going up to see her soon before christmas and i'll call and get her a big bag out of jolleys. thanks bunlover thats a good idea. want to eventually talk to her about their food too, they do get greens too in the evening which is good. she's a nightmare. we did after her last dog a bunny would be the best option for her as she couldn't walk the dogs and fed them tea in the evening and custard at the weekend. lol she's a jolly granny that makes you buns all the time lol. she does have the best intentions. will get the bale of hay for her. ;)

Thats good.

I know how hard it is, my OH's mum, her twin girls have two rabbits, who live in a shed, separate hutches and they take it in turns to run about the shed. They do care for them and look after them well, however they arent neutered or vac'd.

My OH had a chat with her about neutering them and having them bonded, she agreed and said its something that will be done after new year :D
So now were working on the vacs front!

Oh she is also swapping them onto Excel food instead of the museli stuff :D

Its taken time but were getting there ;)

Back