• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When can mum and dad go back together after she had babies?

Snowys

New Kit
I am new to this. I have two rabbits and 4 weeks ago the female had 6 babies and are doing very well. I had dad done straight away. I have kept dad away from mum and babies but dad is looking a bit lonely and fed up.

So my question is when can I put mum back with dad or open up the whole cage (I have a large cage with up stairs and down, pulled ladder up when she had babies). also can dad now mix with babies. Also also have a guniea pig how has been seperated so would like to put all of them back together.

Hope someone can help

I am new to this. I have two rabbits and 4 weeks ago the female had 6 babies and are doing very well. I had dad done straight away. I have kept dad away from mum and babies but dad is looking a bit lonely and fed up.

So my question is when can I put mum back with dad or open up the whole cage (I have a large cage with up stairs and down, pulled ladder up when she had babies). also can dad now mix with babies. Also also have a guniea pig how has been seperated so would like to put all of them back together.

Hope someone can help

He can go back with mum 6-8 weeks after being "done".
I wouldn't let him be with her until the babies are weaned away from mum (8 weeks old). Guinea pigs should not be kept with rabbits, someone will be along and tell you all the reasons why, but rabbits can easily injure and kill guineas, they have different diet and social needs and can pass a potentially fatal illness on.

Exactly what Starlight says.

Only thing to add is if you have a hutch big enough get your piggie a friend :D There are plenty in rescues loely over xmas :wave:

agree with all of the above... :) and once babies are weaned and mum has recovered get her speyed too as it stops risk of uterine cancer x

Please don't keep bunnies and Guineas together, they each need companionship of their own kind. As said, there are plenty od Guinea pigs in rescues looking for a home so maybe you could get yours a friend?

Back