• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bleugh, What to do?

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
I feel really overwhelmingly guilty about Rhia at the moment :( Basically, When I first got Rhi I was in college for a few hours five days a week, and planned on getting her a friend/bonding her with Jen (Foster bun) - There was no question that I'd stay on at college for at least the two/three years that my courses ran for. Leaving me lots of time for a social life/pets etc. My life changed a lot, due to massively unforseen circumstances and I now have a very, very different life to the one I lived when Roo came into it (inc a full time job). Im really struggling to give Rhia the time she is used to. The simple soloution would be just to get her a friend of her own (she has had two, but lost both), but I have had such truly awful luck with rabbits than I just dont feel I have what it takes any more. I am absolutely exhausted though, Im working my a**e off at work. And also work shifts, so the winter is proving to be hell - I leave in the dark & get home in the dark. There are several reasons she cant move permanently into the house, the main one being as it isnt mine. Jesus, Sorry for this huge essay - I just dont know what to do :(

Last edited:
Hugs to you.
I think a friend is in order for Rhia, think long and hard, if she had a friend it wouldnt matter as such if you wasnt spending time with her, so long as she was fed and watered. She would have a play mate.

:)

Hugs to you.
I think a friend is in order for Rhia, think long and hard, if she had a friend it wouldnt matter as such if you wasnt spending time with her, so long as she was fed and watered. She would have a play mate.

:)

I know it sounds the perfect soloution, but its just taking on another rabbit - I cant bring myself to do it. I cant deal with loosing them again, its such a vicious circle - what do I do when I loose one of them? If I do get her a friend it wont be until my Dad has bought a house, shes here at the mo but the garden is just so unsuited to rabbits. Suppose if I got an older boy it might be okay, but then she has tendency to be a bully....and it still means we'll have to go through illness & loss with yet another bun that will undoubtadly steal our hearts. Argh this is so hard :?

bless you hun ive been through all this myself i work full time and i found it hard to find time for my buns but its all about adjusting to the 'new' life i work mainly days so my day time with my buns is totally gone but at night when i get home i bring them in for a bit and i still manage a social life.

ive had to do the same with money streching it between rent, food, debt, rabbits and a social life its difficult but im managing :)

i also want to say your not a bad bunny mum at all and i know your passed buns were blessed to be with you. Ive always had bad luck with Guinea Pigs couldnt get them passed the age of one but all died through dental problems and one was a lethal so was doomed from the start of life :(werejust people who have happened to endup with pets will ill health caused by genetics andother things anditssomething that cant be prevented so would have happened to anyone who had them...so its seriously not something your doing.

big hugs to you hun hope your feeling better soon

xxx

Thanks Louise, Your an angel. I cant imagine how hard it must be struggling with the money side of things as well as the time. My shifts are completely higgledy piggledy which doesnt help, and on nights like last night when I left work at 10.25 pm, I am out at half eleven cleaning her out after a long shift etc - Im burnt out.

P.S This is absolutely not a 'Woe is me' type thread btw, Im a very happy person with a bloomin' good life :D - Just wish things were easier with Rhia.

I know it's hard Becki and you have been to hell and back with her, not only with her illness but with losing Daniel too, but sometimes we have to put our own feelings to one side and do what's best for the animals in our care. We are the adults here and have to cope best we can with what life throws at us and sometimes that is things that hurt us enormously.
Think about how happy Rhia was with Daniel and your other bun and if her health will withstand it I would seriously consider another mate for her.

Awww sorry to hear things are tough - I know its hard and you must be beating your self up over what to do. I do think that a friend for Rhia would help make you worry less. I know you have a terrible time and lost bunnies - but thats not down to you please believe that and try to see it that you gave them happiness while you had them. You could give another bun a chance and Rhia a friend and help yourself stop worrying too.
x

I know it sounds the perfect soloution, but its just taking on another rabbit - I cant bring myself to do it. I cant deal with loosing them again, its such a vicious circle - what do I do when I loose one of them? If I do get her a friend it wont be until my Dad has bought a house, shes here at the mo but the garden is just so unsuited to rabbits. Suppose if I got an older boy it might be okay, but then she has tendency to be a bully....and it still means we'll have to go through illness & loss with yet another bun that will undoubtadly steal our hearts. Argh this is so hard :?

Hugs huni.
Sorry i dont know your past with buns or with Rhia's health.
Sorry if its been a hard.
I guess if you did consider a new bun, assuming it would be a rescue you could ask them to bond for you, so that you know they are a match :)

Thanks folks. Lynne, I would never ever put my feelings before Rhia - Im just absolutely paranoid that I would loose one of them so soon again, and end up back in this position. I know what I have to do, and will discuss whether or not their care could be split between myself & my Dad when she moves to his. Nat, BARC did bond Rhia with Daniel & they did love each other tons; Just she didnt want to know once he got poorly. But obviously, this is just me being hurt by it. For such small animals, they cause a lot of stress!

Hugs huni.
Sorry i dont know your past with buns or with Rhia's health.
Sorry if its been a hard.
I guess if you did consider a new bun, assuming it would be a rescue you could ask them to bond for you, so that you know they are a match :)

I've lost all my five babies pretty much one after the other, to the point now when I just think 'This has to be a joke, it cannot physically be happing again'. All were around 1-2 years, bar Jen & all except Boo needed majorly intensive nursing and had pretty horriffic illnesses which dragged on & in the end, ended all their lives. We very nearly lost Rhia earlier this year due to infection that led to the tubes into her lungs thickening, thus passing no air through. Thank God, We have managed to pull her through. This is why I am SO, SO not wanting to take more on - They have broken my heart xx

Gosh so sorry for your past with the buns, i know it must be hard, very hard. And it probably does feel as though everything is against you when it comes to the buns.
But, as mentioned by Lynne, we are human and we can only try to do the best.
Couldnt Rhia come into the house once you have moved etc (think you said something about moving house). If she cant i would seriously consider pairing her, having my lot in pairs/groups is the best thing i ever did. You have got to put the past behind you (sounds harsh, not meant to be) and think whats best for Rhia, im sure she could find mr perfect :) On the other hand, i understand your heartbreak and i know how much you spoil Rhia. Only you can decide :)

Hope i dont upset you :)

Oh God no, Havent upset me at all! :D Just want to know Im doing the right thing for all of us before I commit to another little life. I know I need to put behind me whats gone on with the other guys, I'll never ever stop missing them but they cant sway my decision where Rhia is concerned. She could maybe live indoors at Dads but then again, there wont be anyone there much so she'd still be lonely. Blaah, will get christmas out the way & Dads move then start looking around I spose :? Sure I will know if there is somebun out there destined for my Bee XX

I feel so sorry for the loss of your other bunnies. Don't blame yourself though, I think you have just been very unlucky. Unfortunately that is how nature is, very unpredictable :(
If I were in your situation, I would look into getting Rhia a little friend x

awww Becki ...i know how you feel ... im in the same predicament with flops at the moment ...dont want another bun but cant bear her being alone..:?

Back