• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Freecycle - Making a factsheet - anyone know of important links i should add??

Rabbits and other animals too.

I'll start by saying please dont have a go at me, im just starting this to see what peoples thoughts are on something that maybe i can try to help, at least with my freecycle group.

im a moderator on a freecycle group, im fairly new to it and im enjoying using my brain again (even if its only for fleeting moments :lol: )
our freecycle did a poll to see if its members wanted to allow pets on our group or not, and the majority voted yes.
I must say that we dont actually get many animals coming up thankfully. there is a set of guidelines and information that is pointed toward any posters.

Ive put it forward that wanteds for pets (i cant believe people actually ask for pets via freecycle, if you cant afford to buy a pet, let alone its housing, then you shouldnt have it!!! and so lazy expecting people to just bring it to you!) shouldnt really be allowed as it serves no helpful purpose and actually gives people an excuse to get rid of a pet that otherwise wouldnt be given up.
the good news is that this might go ahead :)

now i do my best as a mod and as an animal lover to try and do something towards the animals being offered, i try to send a message (though not as a mod, but as a member as its not official) with links of places/websites that could help. ive even taken in a pair of rats that had previously been offered and were being offered for a second time (thanks so much to kay and her friend for taking them on)... but is there anything more i could realistically do, or put forward as a suggestion... i thought id ask you guys.

now i know that this may start getting heated, please please dont. I cant stop the animals going on there, there will be a new poll again same time next year to see if members still want it to go ahead, i just want to help where i can.

Last edited:
i think the best thing you can do is keep putting the links and sending them to people via email especially if you could get a message even if a generic one that is sent to people who put animals up explaining other options available for rehoming them. good luck in your quest

so is it you who is looking for the rat cage on gumtree?? I saw the ad and thought of you for some strange reason!

nope not me, the rats were rehomed a while ago! no space for any more

now if it were a syrian hamster, i would be so tempted!

Sorry :oops: I do put 2 and 2 and get 5 :oops:

I do know what you mean though, mine have set up a seperate area for animals, I still think it is really sad. I have offered homes to bunnies through it, but never seem to get 'choosen' for the bunny

Our freecycle allows pets and i think its awful :( I have complained to the moderators but just got a reply saying a load of guff that they couldnt do anything about it :Roll: At the moment theres a 9 months old dog on there :cry:

If theres a poll already been done i guess theres not much you can do :( Good luck though hun xXx

I totally disagree with freecycle allowing pets to be rehomed on there.

How about a section with a list of reputable rescues in the area and also all the big rehoming centres so that they can contact them direct?

Ive asked my moderator on my one to do this but he hasn't he's a bit of an :censored: :lol: So if any get through his military precision modding I quickly mail them a list myself!

Im now putting together a sort of information sheet with as much information as possible, i can get all the information for local rescues etc, but wondered if anyone on here can help me with any website/rescue links that you think i should include. ideally i would like to have a section of links for a variety of animals.
this will hopefully be sent out whenever an offer goes on board.

is there anything else i should include in this?

much appreciated xxxxx

Back