• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

One eyed Gerald update, thanks and photos

willow123

Young Bun
A HUGE thank you to everyone for all the info on AB's for helping to clear up my new little lads eye.... I have tried to post some piccies, hope they work!

Gerald is a bit of a chunky monkey, certainly not off his food!! But will encourage him to lose a little weight when he's settled in and over the worst with his eye.

Gerald1.jpg

Gerald2.jpg

Gerald.jpg

He is doing a lot better, and we are hopefully getting on top of his infected eye. He is so, so well behaved, and lets me flush his eye socket twice daily, administer AB’s twice daily, and lays upside down in my arms for ever. I adore this boy already, and he will have the best of what years he has left…. He is 6 now. Once recovered, he will be slowly introduced to my other girlies, and hopefully live a happy and fun life in the bunny shed with his ladies!

Sadly, as a vet nurse, I see all sorts of horrific bunny cases, and it makes my blood boil. If I could help every one, I would. The day after Gerald was signed over to me, a beautiful tortoiseshell dwarf lop was brought in as a stray, who had been roaming in someone’s garden for 3 days. Strangely, she had a severe eye problem, the same side eye as Geralds, and it had to be removed. Already having 3 girlie lops, I could not have her, but I have helped pay for the eye removal and find her a good home once she’s recovered. But, after seeing several bunny cases over the last year, it is a good job I did not see the owners, because I would not be responsible for my actions….. I feel so much for bunnies, and the way many people treat them as a cheap disposable pet, not worthy of caring for properly and paying for treatment. I am starting to do a lot more nurse training courses on buns, in the hope I will be in a position to advise on care to owners, and treat bunnies with the best care I can and gain a lot more medical knowledge.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help.

Liz, Gerald and the feisty girls: Gertie, Martha & Winnie!!

He is lovely, and I am so pleased to hear the infection is coming under control. :D

I have a bunny (Lexie in my signature) who lost an eye to a retrobulbar abcess and you would never know if you hadn't been told, she manages remarkably well and acts just like a normal rabbit.

Back