• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I don't know what to do

marleyandme

Mama Doe
Hi,

We are going home (Belfast) from London for two weeks over Christmas, we don't have anyone we can leave him with, and we had looked into boarding my bun Marley, but all the boarding places that we liked were already booked (and had been for months). We have decided to leave him with the rescue we got him from for the 2 weeks, he is an indoor bunny and she will keep him indoors. However I have just looked at her website and it says that there is a VHD outbreak near her, Marley has been vacc'd for VHD but I don't want to take the risk of him getting ill.

This might sound stupid but the other option is to take him with us to Belfast, but it will be a 12 hour journey-do rabbits travel well? He has been ok travelling for about 3 hours in the car before, but that is nothing compared to a 12 hour journey.

I am so worried about leaving him over Christmas and don't know what to do!

Any advice would be appreciated

If he is a happy travelling bun and he is in good health then i dont see the problem taking him......i put kermits nero cage in my back seat of my car when i was travelling with him, once we were on the motorway he was just lying down sleeping.

Seems better than leaving him!

aw thats an awful decisions to make, i'm from lisburn but live in larne. are you staying with relatives over here? have you any friends where you live that could mind him for two weeks?

Thanks,

I am really thinking of taking him back. If we do plenty of stops for him to eat and exercise then he should be ok? Also motorway driving is pretty smooth.

I don't know anyone here I could leave him with, the few people I would trust to look after him are also away, the other friends I have don't have a clue about rabbits-they think I'm crazy for having a house rabbit! My family and my bfs family are all in Belfast, I live in London with my bf who works and I'm at uni over here. So it would be no problem having him home with us.

yeah i'm sure you'll miss him over the holiday season too. my buns seem to travel fine and as you say it's all motorway driving till you get the boat over. have you got a dog crate you could put in the car so he could have plenty of room to run about in.

yeah i'm sure you'll miss him over the holiday season too. my buns seem to travel fine and as you say it's all motorway driving till you get the boat over. have you got a dog crate you could put in the car so he could have plenty of room to run about in.

will miss him loads! yeah, that's a good idea, although I think his cage will fit in the boot. will have to go and measure it!

Back