• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Toilets and dirty bums

huppie

Mama Doe
Hello!

My buns mainly go to the loo in one place. The problem is that they don't seem to want to pee on anything other than newspaper! They used to pee on cotton bedding but for some reason refuse to do that now. If it is in their loo, they throw it out of their way! The problem I have is that newspaper doesn't suck the wee wee away from their bums so they are sitting in their own pee which is very unhealthy. :( Rambaldi is white and his paws are yellow from wee wee now. :oops: He is constantly cleaning himself these days and I am sure the toilet situation is one of the reasons. Because they sit in their own wee as soon as they leave their loo their 'hop' wee wee droplets across their run. Not cool!

I clean the toilet every day but it just isn't good enough. Any other ideas about what I can try? They chuck hay out of the way as well! :cry:

Thanks

Emma

PS I posted this in 'Rabbit Chat' by mistake - automatic, I didn't think about it - sorry if you read it twice!

What about putting something underneath the newspaper? Then the wee would soak through into the other bedding instead of pooling.

Personally I use megazorb with hay on top. Carefresh is also good but expensive.

I use megazorb too, can you get it where you live?

I put in newspaper, then megazorb and then hay on top. Even some hay on top of the newspaper may help.

i use almost a full newspaper with a layer of hay ontop.. will they go loo on hay?

pearl is white and theres no sign of urine on her fur :D

Thanks for the advice!

Edited: I have just found Carefresh in an online store so will give that a go, any advice about anything else is still helpful though to save me coming back if Carefresh fails (at the moment, I'd spend every penny on toilet stuff if it worked!)

I use 6 newspapers (the free-dailys) every day and they only ever sit on their loo when they need it so they aren't sitting there that much (they have 24hr access to 8 sqm run and 2 storey hutch).
We can't get Megazorb in Holland.
Hay definitely doesn't work - they throw it out of the way.
I also tried shredded paper, same problem!
I tried straw briefly but it was too sharp and I think it must be bad for them.
Also tried sawdust with hay on top but the dust was bad for me so I can't imagine what it must be like for buns! It was scrapped quickly

I have heard that cat litter can be good but there are so many sorts I wouldn't know where to begin...

Thanks for helping - I'm getting a bit panicky!

Emma

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice!

Edited: I have just found Carefresh in an online store so will give that a go, any advice about anything else is still helpful though to save me coming back if Carefresh fails (at the moment, I'd spend every penny on toilet stuff if it worked!)

I use 6 newspapers (the free-dailys) every day and they only ever sit on their loo when they need it so they aren't sitting there that much (they have 24hr access to 8 sqm run and 2 storey hutch).
We can't get Megazorb in Holland.
Hay definitely doesn't work - they throw it out of the way.
I also tried shredded paper, same problem!
I tried straw briefly but it was too sharp and I think it must be bad for them.
Also tried sawdust with hay on top but the dust was bad for me so I can't imagine what it must be like for buns! It was scrapped quickly

I have heard that cat litter can be good but there are so many sorts I wouldn't know where to begin...

Thanks for helping - I'm getting a bit panicky!

Emma

you can use the wood pellet type of cat litter.. its very absorbant but sounds like your bun will just dig it out anyhows :shock:
goodluck with the carefresh :)

Back