• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!! Bun fight, torn ear pics

Lillian

Warren Veteran
Violet escaped while Bugs was having free range time in the shed and they had a fight. My mum managed to seperate them.. Bugs is fine but Violet's ear is a mess :( Its torn

bugsvi006.jpg

bugsvi005.jpg

bugsvi007.jpg

bugsvi004.jpg

What can be done??

Have you bathed it? Warm, slightly salted water would be good. It does look like quite a long tear...I would get her checked at the vet just in case.

I would have the vet take a look, ears can't often be stitched as the skin is quite thin but it's never an outright no, def need a course of ab's just in case and a good clean xx

Vets if you can, they maybe able to put a stitch in it.

Harley has her ear done twice on one ear :roll::( I bathed it in cooled boiled water with a bit of salt in, then in Tea Tree antibacterial stuff I had for the buns and just kept an eye on it.

Its healed nicely but she has permanently shredded ears :(

omg! im sorry to see they fought and viciously as well!!
I would take your torn ear bunny to the vet and see if the ear can get stitched up and also to get it properly cleaned up before an infection occurs.
It may be okay to have a torn ear bunny, but as the ears are so integral to a rabbit, it should be checked out by a vet. Also if it remains torn, but has healed, your bunny may catch it on something like a cage bar later on in life and then does a quick turn possibly and can rip the ear further.

Are you bunnies normally spearated and don't get along well? Or are they friends and this is a surprise fight out of the blue?

I can't really see how far across it's been torn, but if it bled profusely she may need it stitching because the main blood supply might have been cut off, which could cause part of the ear to die...that's just a worse case scenario though, I'm sure it won't come to that.

One of mine had her ear sewn up and it was as good as new a few months later :D

Last edited:
omg! im sorry to see they fought and viciously as well!!
I would take your torn ear bunny to the vet and see if the ear can get stitched up and also to get it properly cleaned up before an infection occurs.
It may be okay to have a torn ear bunny, but as the ears are so integral to a rabbit, it should be checked out by a vet. Also if it remains torn, but has healed, your bunny may catch it on something like a cage bar later on in life and then does a quick turn possibly and can rip the ear further.

Are you bunnies normally spearated and don't get along well? Or are they friends and this is a surprise fight out of the blue?

The buns are brothers, but they live seperately as they haven't been neutered yet. I was hoping they'd live together again after neutering but i don't think they will be possible anymore cos they are hate each other :(

Violet has now had his ear cleaned, dressed and he's had baytril. It didn't bleed badly. Hopefully it'll be alright. Silly little boy :(

Sorry to hear they fought and Violet got hurt badly :(

Maybe once nuetered and hormones have calmed they might get along. When my lot were seperate before nuetering, Simba managed to get to Olivers cage and they went ballestic at the bars fighting, luckly the cage was between them so easy for me to get simba out the way and they couldnt fight as bad. But out of my 3 bonded now the boys are the closest.

Hope violets ear heals fine, I would of been a nervouse wreck.

Back