• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please,ive given Dandy too much septrin

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
As you know Dandy has a snotty nose when i went to the vets last week with Bounty she gave me a big bottle of septrin,so i rang her yesterday to find out the dose for Dandy she said double the amount Bounty was having she was having 0.6ml twice a day which means Dandy needs 1.2ml twice a day Obviously not fully awake this am i gave him 1ml,then another 1ml instead of the 0.2 Will he be ok?

Stop giving him any medication, not just septrin for about 48 hr.

Call your vet and tell them what happens.

From the BSAVA Manual of Rabbit Medicine and Surgery, p.89, the trade name Septrin, which is really combination of trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septrin

is rated for treatment amt. of 30 mg/KG orally q12 h.

So, you need to get the concentration from the box (?? mg/ ml) and then figure out the max. dosage. If you can post the mg/ ml, I can help you

As you know Dandy has a snotty nose when i went to the vets last week with Bounty she gave me a big bottle of septrin,so i rang her yesterday to find out the dose for Dandy she said double the amount Bounty was having she was having 0.6ml twice a day which means Dandy needs 1.2ml twice a day Obviously not fully awake this am i gave him 1ml,then another 1ml instead of the 0.2 Will he be ok?

Hi,
a small overdose of Septrin (I'm assuming it is Septrin paediatric from the dosing, should smell like a banana/peach milkshake!) is unlikely to cause problems. It is one of the safer antibiotics available for rabbits as it doesn't affect the normal gut bacteria too much.
Keep a close eye on her as there is a small chance diarrhoea could develop which can progress rapidly in rabbits, and I would ask your vet for some probiotics as an extra protective measure.
I would only give the remaining dose needed this evening (ie. 0.4ml instead of 1.2ml) to avoid further overdosing but don't panic!
Marie

awww an easy mistake to make when your not properly awake.
dont worry im sure he will be fine xx

Hi,
a small overdose of Septrin (I'm assuming it is Septrin paediatric from the dosing, should smell like a banana/peach milkshake!) is unlikely to cause problems. It is one of the safer antibiotics available for rabbits as it doesn't affect the normal gut bacteria too much.
Keep a close eye on her as there is a small chance diarrhoea could develop which can progress rapidly in rabbits, and I would ask your vet for some probiotics as an extra protective measure.
I would only give the remaining dose needed this evening (ie. 0.4ml instead of 1.2ml) to avoid further overdosing but don't panic!
Marie

Hiya yes thats the stuff hes on he actually loves it so really easy to give it him:) Hes on probiotics in his water:) Thanks for the advice x

Isn't the dose of Septrin 50mg/kg orally every 12 hours :?
There is only 24mg in 1ml so unless the Buns weigh less than 1kg even 2ml is not an overdose is it :?

Isn't the dose of Septrin 50mg/kg orally every 12 hours :?
There is only 24mg in 1ml so unless the Buns weigh less than 1kg even 2ml is not an overdose is it :?

Reported doses range from 15mg to 48mg twice daily and the dose I (and most other vets) use is 30mg/kg twice daily.
Septrin paediatric is 48mg/ml, I'm not sure about the adult form as I don't use that (rabbits much prefer the banana flavour :) )

Reported doses range from 15mg to 48mg twice daily and the dose I (and most other vets) use is 30mg/kg twice daily.
Septrin paediatric is 48mg/ml, I'm not sure about the adult form as I don't use that (rabbits much prefer the banana flavour :) )

Thank you :wave:

Back