• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

feel awful :'(

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
cus im such a wuss and cus ste refuses to do it.. we bundled the buns to the vets to get thier claws clipped.... alvin bled and she said it was cus of his black claws and put some stuff on his nail which stopped the bleeding straight off.... ste just noticed pearl was bleeding too.. i feel so bad... why am i not brave enough to cut my bunnies claws.. even if i do make them bleed it cant be as bad as going to the vets and bleeding too :(:(

i go in to complete panic mode when i do it. any little movement and i jump a mile even though Bells isn't that fussed by me doing it. i'm just convinced i'm gonna hurt her whenever i do it, but so far i haven't, so i'm not really sure why i get so nervous!

i think im gonna have to be brave and force ste to help... we have a flash light so that would help with alvin... he was really good the other week when ste held him and i got the fluff out of his back feet.. but the thought of blood and infection terrifies me.. and ste knows ill fall apart if we get blood so hes not silly refusing really :oops:

hun im doing Jellys n the gang when i get back i will take piccies cus hers are black to help you :D

hun im doing Jellys n the gang when i get back i will take piccies cus hers are black to help you :D

cheers hun :D by the time it comes around again we will all of forgotten tonights ordeal... im so gonna force them to play out next summer :lol::lol:

awww hugs. dont feel bad, u know what they say "you gotta learn sometime"
im the same with my dog though, it is a scry thing.
gonna attempt my bunnies the weekend as they are getting a bit to loong.
this will be their first claw cutting... wish me look:shock:

gonna attempt my bunnies the weekend as they are getting a bit to loong.
this will be their first claw cutting... wish me look:shock:

good luck.. hope you have someone willing to help you :D

Ive got to check and do all the buns here!! :shock:

Be glad you only have 2!! :lol:

Once you get the hang of it, it honestly wont phase you at all.

Donna, practice makes perfect hun. Phoebe is a black bun and ive caught his nail, i just make sure i keep a little pot of cornflour beside me while i clip them so i can stop the bleeding right away. It took me a while to be confident in cutting them and i do sometimes use a tourch to stop accidents, esp with Phoebe!
Also i get my mum to hold and i cut, so then ive got a good idea of where im going, the buns were wiggly at first, but got used to it and are now not a picking of bother getting it done!

You can't be nervous or back off as it make matters worse.

At the moment there's only me in our house that needs their nails clipping. :lol: Thankfully the bunnies and dogs seem to wear them down naturally. I used to have one dog that was like something posessed if she even saw a pair of nail clippers. And of course, she was the one that didn't wear them down naturally. It used to take two of us to do her and one of us was a professional dog groomer. I used to hate doing it, but short of darting with a tranquilizer gun it was our only option. I couldn't even get the vet to do it as she used to go bananas and fight the sedation - I'd seen her get the better of a vet and 4 vet nurses with enough sedation running round her veins to knock an 160 pound St Bernard out and she was only 40 pounds.

At least you cna just wrap a bunny in a towel.

I do it but I must admit to being a bit of a wuss with sooty and rosie so keep them longer & cut more often. I cut back to just about level with the fur and probably they get a trim every month.

couldnt get to sleep last night... how on earth will i persuade the bloke to help me and its better for the buns :?

its project force alvin to love me from tonight.... he will sit on my lap and not kill me :shock:

I know how you feel. I used to cut my old bun's claws without a second thought & his claws were dark too (well dh did it while I held Reggie) but for some reason I'm scared stiff of letting dh loose on Alfie and Bubbles, and I don't trust him to hold them still while I cut either. :lol::lol: I even bought nail scisors about a fortnight ago and haven't been brave enough to get them out.

I don't mind doing my bunnies nails......but I DREAD every time I have to do my piggies! They have tiny nails and they wiggle a lot......it takes me three times as long to do theirs! :(

Aww, don't feel bad. I feel panicky about cutting nails but I've taught myself a few techniques, especially with having a little ethnic monster!

A torch is brilliant to use, Ryan will hold him while I shine and snip! If I'm by myself, if I hold him like a baby in the bathroom, the light is so bright at noon that I can see where to cut..... but then, Carlton doesn't mind being held that much.

I'm sure someone on here said that a good rule is to apply pressure with the scissors and if you are too close to the nerve they will flinch, if not cut away.

Back