• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My lounge smells like a farmyard!!!

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
Litter training is getting better...on their terms :roll: I have learnt never have preconceived ideas about how you think a bunny house should be, the furry ones have their own ideas! I bought the largest corner loo I could find and put it in the furthest corner thinking that is definately the corner they will go in... nope the corner with toys and most exposed to the rest of the room! After trying in vain to soak up the wee and throw the soaked bits in the official loo and using months worths of newspaper, I gave up! A friend gave me a spare tiny little pink corner loo and numptys that they are they are using that non-stop, but there's barely enough room to put their furry little bottoms in it :lol::lol:

Anyway the room still stinks I clean up poo morning and evening and empty the hay bed/loo so why does my lounge still smell so bad?? Does everyones house smell if they have a housebunny. Personally between you guys and me I don't mind it too much coz it smells of my gorgeous bunnies...but other people might find it a bit stinky :oops:!

This morning I came down to find a juicy piece of cecotroph flung through the bars of the cage splat against my recently painted walls:lol:. It's stuck in a place where I can see it but I cant get to :roll:

I always frebreeze the room the bunnys are in and make sure I wash the litter tray out every day with either propper animal antibacterial stuff or i use Milton which takes away alot of smell!
Also if they poo, pick it up and put it in thier little tray, theyll start assiotatiing there tray with pooping and peeping!

Oh OK I wasn't sure whether I could use room freshners wasn't sure if it would be OK for the buns!

Believe me I have tried putting the poo and the soaked up wee in the tray I've even shown them to their faces where its supposed to go and everyday I tell them, but they no listen! they just like to poo everywhere :lol::lol:

There is a certain niff to rabbit wee in a litter tray in the house isn't there? :lol::lol:

We use a frabreeze candle, half an hour in the morning and half an hour at night and that works a treat! We had to add a litter tray when Kylie arived in our house as she wouldn't go into her cage like Dylan would to use the loo :roll: believe you me, my OH was ready to ship her to a new home when the litter training began! We've had her for 4 months now and she's come along leaps and bounds. I've found that as soon as I've noticed poo on the floor, the offender goes straight back into their cage! I leave the door open though unless she/he does it again when they have a time out for 5 minutes. I know this is supose to be what you do with kids but it works lol!

As for the poop on the wall, I can't help you there although you do have my sympathies as we have (bunny) wee on one of the walls!!!

Your boy's unneutered at the moment isn't he? The smell will get a LOT better once he's had the snip! Littertraining will probably improve loads too
In the mean time, vinegar is great for wee smells - white vinegar is best, test a bit of the carpet/floor first but it's generally very mild and safe, but neutralises the smell - can spray it in the air too to act like a natural deodouriser. A little bowl of bicarbonate of soda will held with deodourising too, just left dry out of the bunnies' reach

Last edited:
mine doesnt smell... the chippy cage whiffs more on cleaning out day... pearls pee smells for about 2 mins after shes weed then thats gone too... i always sniff my house as i walk into it to make sure theres no manky animal smells...:oops:

Ohh un nuetered boys do smell. i remember oliver when he started maturing, smelt like oinions :lol: Mine are nuetered now and tbh I dont have any smell, just fresh hay :D

What are you using for litter? It shouldn't really smell that bad!

You need something nice and absorbent - try paper/wood based non clumping cat litter. That is very absorbent so helps reduce smells.

You should be able to swap out the little tray for the big one, just tip the dirty litter from the little tray into the big one, then put the big one where the little one was. They shouldn't notice the difference.

Tam

By woodbased do you mean like the wood pellet type? Is this ok to use then?

I just use newspaper at bottom and hay on top.

Yep, it looks like pellets :) Wood/paper is fine as if they eat a bit it will digest, avoid the standard stuff thats clay/sand or whatever its made from. Bio-Catolet & Yesterdays News are paper based ones, carefresh is similar but sold for small animals. I think I've got Mayfiel Woodbase Cat Litter atm, but I've also used tesco's recycled paper litter. You can also use megazorb horse bedding too but it tends to come in big bags which can be too much if you only have a few bunnies :D

Tam

Ohh ok, thanks. I might try the bob martin paper litter with mine?

I hate that clumping stuff, wouldnt use it with my cats let alone any animal.

wow I nip out to the cinema for a couple of hours and come back to lots of helpful comments thanks guys! Yes my little man has not been neutered he'll have another 'plum' check this sat with his VHD jab poor little thing!

Do you use the vinegar neat or dilute it?

I use a combo of wood pellets (non scented) and sawdust wood chips Only because that's what they originally had in their hutch but Im trying to reduce it so it's just pellets! I'll try putting the contents of the pink tray into the bigger one thanks Tamsin!

It's good to know the smell and litter training should improve after they've had their ops!

Still have poo on the wall my bunny friend has offered to help me try and lift the cage away from the wall at the weekend...should be fun!

Back