• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Old Rabbits & Weight Loss

happybunny

Mama Doe
Do rabbit loose weight as they get into their twilight years?

If so about what age does this happen and roughtly what percentage of weight would be expected to loose?

Older Rabbits tend to loose muscle mass. When this happens will vary, some Rabbits are 'eldery' aged 6, some not til they are much older.

If your Rabbit is loosing weight I would advise you to get your Vet to check him/her over. Dental problems can appear in older Rabbits even if they have no previous history of them and have always had a good hay based diet.

Kidney Function can deteriorate with age. Symptoms of this will include weightloss aswell as drinking and weeing alot + loss of litterbox training.

With Buns of any age unexplained weightloss always merits a Veterinary consultation

:)

Ditto what Jane has said.

Weight loss isn't really normal unless the bun is ill, although old rabbits do start to look rather saggy because the muscle goes from their top line (spine, hips).

I find that elder buns benefit from a higher calorie food...mine have Excel junior mixed in with their SS and A&P

Oliver is approximately 9 years old (he is a rescue so I can only go on what I was told) and he has been with us for 4 years.

Over the past 2/3 years Oliver has suffered terribly from various teeth issues and mouth ulcerations. At one point he was having his teeth done once a month. He always recovered quickly. When he was well he weighed 2.35kg and when he was down 2.15kg.

Over the past 6 months Oliver has not recovered well after his teeth have been sorted and has not managed to replace any lost weight. We are syringe feeding him several times a day but this is just maintaining him. We do occasionally see him eating normal food but as he lives with another rabbit it is difficult to say exactly what he is eating himself. His poop is normal (if not a little smaller than previous). He currently weighs 1.8kg and had is last dental last Monday.

The vet said we could run some bloods but it was doubtful it would change his treatment.

Oliver has never been a boisterous bunny and is pretty much how he always was in himself

Back