• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding into existing pairs?

I've bonded a male into a male:female pair successfully and a male into a female:female pair successfully.

However I have also had a failed female into a male:male pair.

Last edited:
I've bonded females into male female pairs, female female pairs and male male pairs, i've also bonded into groups

I bonded the bunnies in my sig this way, had Tinks and Billy, bonded Daisy to make a trio and then Poppy to get my four! All went very smoothly,both times they spent 24 hours in my kitchen, there was only ever humping and chasing and now they are a fab group, I love it, especially at feeding time when I have 4 very excited bunnies bounding around in circles :love:

Whether this is possible depends on the temperaments of the rabbits involved. Any combination is possible, but not for all rabbits. Some just can't cope with more than one companion. Also some males won't tolerate another male but might accept another female and vice versa.
If yu want to try a larger group I would advise finding a rescue that would be willing to help otherwise failure is more likely than not. I have successfully added to pairs for people, and I have also failed due to temperaments. The rabbits do not gain when an extra is added, it just causes them stress so think carefully before deciding to go ahead.

The rabbits do not gain when an extra is added, it just causes them stress so think carefully before deciding to go ahead.

Thats a very good point. The third may gain a home or companionship but the existing pairs world is turned upside down!

More likely than not one rabbit is also usually pushed out slightly, in the spring I am removing the lower ranking male from my trio and bonding him with his own female (at least thats the plan) as he is sometimes found alone and any grievances are taken out on him.

'The rabbits do not gain when an extra is added, it just causes them stress so think carefully before deciding to go ahead'

I think this can be correct, but not true of my four, no bun is left out more than the others. I also think in a different way it can be benficial to the rabbits in terms of their accomodation, having a group means they can have a reallllly big outdoor space with diferent areas etc. Rather than being split into pairs in smaller areas.

'The rabbits do not gain when an extra is added, it just causes them stress so think carefully before deciding to go ahead'

I think this can be correct, but not true of my four, no bun is left out more than the others. I also think in a different way it can be benficial to the rabbits in terms of their accomodation, having a group means they can have a reallllly big outdoor space with diferent areas etc. Rather than being split into pairs in smaller areas.

Yes but you have 4 not a trio.

There is no reason why a pair cannot have the same accomodation as a larger group, the accomodation of my remaining pair wont change after one is removed.

Some great points and thanks very much.
Still not certain on a decision, if i can sort out accomodation i would quite happily get him a wifey of his own, instead of sharing :lol:

I did have a trio for about a year, and adding a 4th has not changed the dynamis, tinks (the smallest:) ) is still the boss but they all get on equally! ooh i know you could keep two in the same space but I meant in my sqee garden!

Ive got a trio at the moment, as i had to remove Bella as she has been poorly and is recieving treatment. I will however be hoping to bond her back in once we get the all clear.

:)

Back