• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teasals gas - on and off - still worried

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
OK so on Friday he had gas (and no indication of blockage o blockage like back up of material etc on an x-ray). The vet gave Buscopan and pain killer - we rubbed tummy etc and it gurgled and he got better like magic.

By late Friday eve and all day Saturday he looked great and looked just like normal. Vet moved him onto metaclopramide to make sure gut got back to normal after the gas attack and he has been having it twice a day.

Today (Sunday) in the morning he looked a bit gassy again (sort of swollen a bit and sits oddly and stretches a bit),
so I bought some Infacol and at c1pm gave 1ml Infacol (he weighs 2k approx); he seemed a bit better, and was eating hay and pooing etc;

Now (Sunday at at 7pm) he looks gasy again. I have given another 1ml of Infacol and tummy rubs (he HATES them).

I have never given Infacol before so am a bit worried about it - it seems very sugary. My vet would probably kill me if she knew I was giving him non prescribed baby stuff.

He NEVER has gas usually. But I am really worried about this as it seems to just come and go.

Just as I think he's over it it seems to come again just an hour or so later.

Any ideas what i should do next????

The Infacol wont harm him as long as there is no blockage.
As he appears to be getting recurrent attacks I would want to be looking at exactly what he is eating. Is he passing normal poos ?
Metoclopromide can cause gripey tummy pain. Could it be that is what is now causing his discomfort?

I think what may have first caused it was my (very nice and experienced) bunny sitter feeding him too many greens last weekend - when we were away. It was my fault really as I left huge amounts in the feed buckets - but didn't make it clear that that was the food supply for the whole week week that i had just collected/bought rather than just to be used at the weekend. It included supermarket bought cabbage and brussels as well as the allotment collected weeds/grass etc etc. I think the gas may have developed then and just sat there - we did think he looked a bit 'off' when we got back on Monday but it did not come to a head until Thursday.

However I don't know what is causing it now as since Monday he has been back on normal hay, willow, brambles, apple leaves, a bit of long weedy grass, and a VERY VERY VERY small amount of Oxbow T (about a thimble full).

Its just s scary that it is coming and going . So far its not as bad as Thursday but I am really scared it will get that way.

Do you think I should give some more metacam? he had 3 drops at 2pm. I don't want to skip the metaclopromide dose this evening really in case he needs that too!! How often can I give Infacol? He stuffed loads of hay this afternoon but he's stopped now and is getting very fed up and annoyed at all the hassle as well as the gas..

Back