• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New bunny

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
I have just adopted a 4month old bunny who was described as a bit "grumpy".

I have him in a hutch outside the back door but have got a large indoor run that we bring him into. In summer we will have the run on the garden but for now, and while he gets used to us we have it inside.

Only thing im not sure of is that he is very timid and doest like being picked up- takes me ages to get him out of his hutch. How can I get him used to me? At the minute whenever I go near him he runs away and stamps his feet and he wont let you stroke him at all!

Are we doing the right thing keeping him outside in his hutch at night and when were out but bringing him in when we are home? Not sure if a change in temperature and environment is good for him?

The change in temperature is not a good idea at this time of year. Would it be an option to let him be a house bunny over the winter, that way he could get used to you during the colder months.

There are lots of different house set ups on here that you could look at if that was an option.

My oliver hates being picked up, he stomps also. I use a carrier, open cage door and put carrier there and he hops in. Its become routine now as he knows he is coming out for something or other. Mind you now there all bonded i can just open the door lol.

No unfortunately we promised the landlady we wouldnt let him inside at all! We are going against it at the minute as we thought it would be good to let him get used to us.

He is just sooo nervous. I havent had a rabbit for a few years and my last one was so friendly im not sure wat to do for the best with this one.

At the minute im sitting with him indoors and waiting for him to approach me- which he will do occasionally and he will take food from my hands sometimes.

I find just sitting with them helps reduce there fear, they then grow confident and start approaching you.

Thats wat im doing at the minute- problem is I need him to be inside to do it but Im worried about the change in temperature when I then put him back outside! His hutch is fully insulated, covered and parked in a tight spot outside the back door to make it as warm as possible but obviously its going to be a change from being in the house.

It does work and after a while of ignoring him he will come over to check me out. He still wont let me touch him but at least he is coming near me!

Thats wat im doing at the minute- problem is I need him to be inside to do it but Im worried about the change in temperature when I then put him back outside! His hutch is fully insulated, covered and parked in a tight spot outside the back door to make it as warm as possible but obviously its going to be a change from being in the house.

It does work and after a while of ignoring him he will come over to check me out. He still wont let me touch him but at least he is coming near me!

It may not be so bad if you have him in during the day time if possible and when you have not had any heating on, the temp would not be as different.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing by letting him come to you. One of mine is so loving and loves cuddles, the other hates being held but at times she comes up and stands on me and likes her nose rubs.

Patience goes a long way. Good luck.

I think I have got the other half to come round to letting him live inside for the winter! We have brought his hutch in and used NIC cubes to make a run for the front of it. He cant have free run of the house as we have too many cables on show and open fires but his run is pretty large and much better than he would have if he was outside!

yeah i'd suggest getting him neutured too. could you put him in the carrier box to bring him inside, he's maybe feeling a bit vunurable after you've picked him up so when you bring him inside he thinks you'll do the same. a predator would pick him up which is what he's seeing you as, if that makes sense. so if you brought him in carrier and trying bonding with him on the floor and as he gets more comfortable then you can get him used to being picked up.

He wont come out of the hutch to get into the carrier! He just sits at the back of his hutch looking at it. Hopefully if we can keep him inside for the winter then he will get used to us being there and walking past so he might become a bit friendlier!

is there enough room that you could leave the carrier in hutch and feed him everyday in it so he gets used to it?

Back