• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urine scald help.

Kim_w

Mama Doe
Bailey has urine scald again :cry: I took her to the vets yesterday and they washed her and tried to cut some of her fur away but couldnt clip her because she was vet, I have antibiotics and cream for her. When I checked her this morning she is soaked in urine again. I am really worried, I have antibacterial shampoo from the vets I can wash her with but at this rate she is never going to dry! I am taking her back the the vets on fri so they can do a blood test to check her liver and kidneys are working ok, the vet was also wondering if she is incontinent.

Have any of you got any experience with urine scald? x

Oh dear, poor girl. Im taking it she is incontinent, wetting and laying in it?

Have you tried keeping her on vet bed to help absorb the wet away from her a bit?

Ive no experience, sorry but would keeping that area clipped help so fur doesnt retain wet?

did u see the specialneeds pets programme with the bun with the nappy?
couldnt you request one of those if you have the money and then because they are absorbent they would draw the urine away from her body.
just a suggestion, if its stupid let me know:oops:

I wouldn't reccommend the nappy option at all, it will hold urine against the skin and thus aggravate the urine scold further.

Wash & trim the fur and then apply a barrier cream such as Vaseline, Suocreme or Aqueaous to prevent the wee coming into contact with the skin.

The ususal causes of incontinence are a urinary tract infection, spinal injury & EC....assuming your vets ruled out spinal damage she should be on a course of Panacur & Baytril to start with.

ETA: The blood test will be looking for damage to the liver & kidneys which may be indicative of EC.

Last edited:
My bridge bunny used to present with symptoms of urine scald - except it wasn't. He was always getting very sore and wet around his boy bits and it looked for all the world like urine scald. However, my bunny-savvy vet said it was actually more of a fungal type infection caused by deep folds of skin around his bits. He had what can only be described as a 'nip and tuck' on the excess skin to reduce the folds and thereafter, he was as right as rain!

Last edited:
I use nappies on one of my special needs bunnies and it has really helped the urine scold. He no longer gets it on his legs as the nappy prevents it from going on his legs. As long as he is bathed afterwards and sudocream applied his skin is fine.

Must add though he only wears nappies when he is free ranging and they are changed every couple of hours. At the moment we are using new born nappies but we are getting some specially made from the suppliers on the link above.

I do agree that you do need to try to find the cause of the incontinence. We have spent over £200 on tests for Austin and they have all come back normal:?

Thankyou for your replys :love:

She was tested for EC last time. I asked the vet about when she has recovered about me taking her in every few weeks to be clipped and she said that would be a good idea the vet I saw is a bit dippy I was gutted the male vet wasnt working he seems really knowledgeable about rabbits last time I saw the female vet she checked Baileys teeth and said there were a few sharp bits but she would be ok for a few more weeks so I said well wouldnt it be better for her to have her teeth done now before they start to cause her any problems- she agreed!! :shock:

Today when I went to check Bailey her left eye was closed, I havent a clue what she has done poor girl. I bathed her myself the night before and she was wriggling more than normal (she is normally a very cooperative patient!) I am now feeling a bit gutted wondering if she caught her eye on something (a button??) when I was bathing her :cry::cry:

One of my buns was totally urine incontinent for about 6 months. She had course after course of panacur and blood tests came back normal. The regime that worked for her was oral baytril (x 2 per day) and a drug called propalin (x3 per day).

Ditto what others have said about sudocrem. Also make sure you shampoo her with a very mild shampoo, some shampoos cause irratation.

Can I ask if Bailey's body shape has changed at all?

This might sound like a strange question, but I've noticed that a couple of female rabbits who've urinated a lot (one who went on to become incontinent) have strange body shapes...they have very little muscle along their spine, but also a saggy belly...giving them a slightly pot-bellied appearance.

I do wonder if there is a condition/s which causes muscle loss, including loss of control of the sphincter muscle???? :?

The vet said she is underweight and to be honest I hadnt noticed but now she has said it too me I can tell too. She is eating fine, I feel so guilty. I needed to take her to the vets today but couldnt because of the heavy snow here and I cant go tomorrow because the baby is having her 12 week jabs but my dad might becable to take her for me if he finishes work early. I am worried sick afetr I bathed her eye yesterday it opened a bit, today it wont open at all. x

Back