• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Desperate advice needed.

ab1063

Warren Scout
as you might know im looking to adopt a lionhead bunny.
i've found an owner nearby, but the bunny is already bonded with another bunny(which i don't think i have the space or money for)
Would it be heartbreaking if i broke them up?
would the bunnys get over it?
i don't want to do anything which will affect them long term.
ideally i'de take both, which i'm going to try my best to do but if i can't should i take this bunny?
help?
i'm not experienced with bonds.

It would be very wrong to split them up if they are happy together and there is no danger of pregnancy.
Some bunnies will get over it eventually, others will pine for months on end.

No definitely dont split up an already bonded pair. What would happen to the poor one left all alone? Plus it would still be very stressful on the one you took and bonded to another bun. Definitely dont do that. x

Hmmm - doesn't say much for the owner of the lionhead who seems quite prepared to split up the pair that he/she already has.

ok so that was a stupid question i guess sorry everyone! thanks for the advice though.
can rabbits form trios??

You can have a group of three, but it can be difficult, as the saying three's a crowd rings true in most cases. I'd take them both as the owner doesn't seem very responsible.

I think it very much depends on the rabbits - when I bonded my two pairs into a four, Harry, Heather and Santa formed a lovely little trio with Dudley very much the outcast (they are now back in their pairs). Louiseandgus also has a trio and hers seems to work fine too.

It is very concerning that the owner would consider splitting them, it must be incredibly traumatic for a bun to be ripped away from its partner, they do mourn terribly, just like they do when bereaved :cry:

It depend entirely on the personality of the rabbits, I have a 2:1 male:female trio and have also bonded a 2:1 female:male trio....in all cases the rabbits were very laid back and there was only one rabbit with dominant tendancies in each set.

My 2 male 1 female trio has changed leader since they were first bonded but it happened easily because the former leader backed down without any resistance.

Well done for asking if this would be a good idea. Could I suggest you point the owner of the pair, to RR, to try and find them a home so that they can stay together. She could advertise the bunnies on here.

Thanks for this, was wondering the same as bonding a threesome! My two are bonded but the female has just had some babies and I would love to keep one female one (so two females, one male). will see how they go :)

Thanks for this, was wondering the same as bonding a threesome! My two are bonded but the female has just had some babies and I would love to keep one female one (so two females, one male). will see how they go :)

:wave: Please forgive me for asking the obvious, but has the male been neutered now? They can still be fertile for a few weeks after the operation so he needs to be kept away from the girls for some time after his op - 6 weeks is what is generally recommended as a safe period :) Unfortunately what sometimes happens is that a female has babies but the male is left in, and he gets her pregnant again straight away, and it's exhausting for the poor bun to produce another litter 4 weeks later :shock: Not to mention the existing overpopulation of pet buns!

But as long as the male is neutered (and ideally the two females in due course) there's no particular reason why you couldn't bond them into a threesome :)

I think it very much depends on the rabbits - when I bonded my two pairs into a four, Harry, Heather and Santa formed a lovely little trio with Dudley very much the outcast (they are now back in their pairs). Louiseandgus also has a trio and hers seems to work fine too.

It is very concerning that the owner would consider splitting them, it must be incredibly traumatic for a bun to be ripped away from its partner, they do mourn terribly, just like they do when bereaved :cry:

definatly, because thats what happened with mine too, they left pebbles out and she was the outcast, and yet the other 3 got on fine!

so in my case a trio worked fine, it was a four that didnt work!

Back