• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye Colour

Snookie

Young Bun
What colour can rabbit's eyes be? Georgie bunny and his late friend Fifi has dark brown eyes.

Newcomer Biskit, who is 13 weeks approx, seems to have dark blue eyes. Do baby rabbits have blue/green eyes at first and they change colour? Or do rabbits just have varying eye colours? I know albino ones will have red looking eyes.

Thanks.

my rabbits got dark brown eyes.
but i know of some rabbits who have blue eyes.
i don't think they change with time.

Rabbits eyes can be different colours. The colours I have seen are brown, dark blue, light blue and red/pink. Their eyes don't change colour when they get older.
One of my rabbits has one blue eye and one half brown/half blue eye :)

It depends on thier main fur colour usually. Most of mine have brown eyes (they are brown/black) but one has grey eyes which sometimes look brown and another has grey/blue eyes (grey on the inner part of iris and blue on the outer part)which also sometimes look brown and he gets a ruby glow(these two are grey/white rabbits). Obviously red/pink are found in the albino rabbits and my sisters rabbit has a rare light blue eye and the other is mostly dark brown but with a streak of light blue in it.

Red/pink, Blue, Grey and Brown are the 4 colours as far as i know.

I've recently noticed that one of my rabbits has a brown eye with a chunk of bluey white in the iris as well. The other eye is fully brown. Looking back at old photos, I've just realised that her left eye has always been like this but I always thought it was a shine from the light or a reflection on it. I didn't know that rabbits could have eyes with two colours but now after reading Pegasys's comment, I guess it's not too unusual? :)

Last edited:
Back