• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cold outdoor buns

louandjoe

Alpha Buck
I'm constantly worried about my outdoor buns, it's -2 out there this morning and they all have really cold ears :? This is the first winter I've had my buns outdoors for years and I feel sorry for them outside!

I really think they prefer it to be honest... my house rabbits would stay outside all day given the chance. I have a bunny in the summerhouse and she is never tucked up in her bed of hay, she's always sitting by the window where it will be even colder! :roll:

I went to put the snugglesafe in last night it was freezing and mine were all sat out in the run rather than in their shed :roll:

My outdoor buns have tons of hay, heatpad, duvet, waterproof cover and a massive tarp over the whole run. But when I open the hutch every morning, Hunny hops out and finds the coldest and most exposed spot and stays there for most of the day! :roll: (Her husbun doesn't mind, he can sit right on top of the heatpad without being disturbed then :roll: :lol: )

My OH is always going on a bout how worried he is about the buns in this cold. I keep assuring him that they seem fine.

They are eating and bopping about as normal and spending more time outside than in! Whenever I pick them up from when they've been inside snuggled next to each other they always seem toasty warm even though their ears are cold.

I keep thinking about investing in some snugglesafes but then do I really, really need to?

I do worry about them but I think sometimes unnecessarily?!

I don't worry about mine at all, even at very low temperatures. They have tons of hay, and cover and each other, and a warm, thick winter coat, so I feel like they are fine. :lol:

Strange as it sounds, cold ears is actually a good sign, as it means that the buns internal mechanism for restricting blood flow to the extremeties like ears is working well - thus ensuring that their bodies keep nice and warm because the blood isn't getting cold due to heat transfer from the ears :)

As long as they are used to being outdoors and have somewhere warm and dry to retreat to if they want to, they will be fine :)

Back