PDA

View Full Version : Cold outdoor buns

louandjoe
30-11-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm constantly worried about my outdoor buns, it's -2 out there this morning and they all have really cold ears :? This is the first winter I've had my buns outdoors for years and I feel sorry for them outside!

charlie82
30-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I really think they prefer it to be honest... my house rabbits would stay outside all day given the chance. I have a bunny in the summerhouse and she is never tucked up in her bed of hay, she's always sitting by the window where it will be even colder! :roll:

louandjoe
30-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Mine are in the summerhouse as well and always sit by the window :lol:

weeble
30-11-2008, 12:05 PM
I went to put the snugglesafe in last night it was freezing and mine were all sat out in the run rather than in their shed :roll:

CarmenCole
30-11-2008, 12:08 PM
My outdoor buns have tons of hay, heatpad, duvet, waterproof cover and a massive tarp over the whole run. But when I open the hutch every morning, Hunny hops out and finds the coldest and most exposed spot and stays there for most of the day! :roll: (Her husbun doesn't mind, he can sit right on top of the heatpad without being disturbed then :roll: :lol: )

Emm-Jane76
30-11-2008, 01:14 PM
My OH is always going on a bout how worried he is about the buns in this cold. I keep assuring him that they seem fine.

They are eating and bopping about as normal and spending more time outside than in! Whenever I pick them up from when they've been inside snuggled next to each other they always seem toasty warm even though their ears are cold.

I keep thinking about investing in some snugglesafes but then do I really, really need to?

I do worry about them but I think sometimes unnecessarily?!

LionheadLuver
30-11-2008, 01:43 PM
I don't worry about mine at all, even at very low temperatures. They have tons of hay, and cover and each other, and a warm, thick winter coat, so I feel like they are fine. :lol:

AlisonA
30-11-2008, 02:00 PM
Strange as it sounds, cold ears is actually a good sign, as it means that the buns internal mechanism for restricting blood flow to the extremeties like ears is working well - thus ensuring that their bodies keep nice and warm because the blood isn't getting cold due to heat transfer from the ears :)

As long as they are used to being outdoors and have somewhere warm and dry to retreat to if they want to, they will be fine :)