• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with mucky bum

Bubby

Alpha Buck
I'm really worried about my doe Tilly. She was really sick about 5-6 weeks ago and was admitted to the vets with suspected Ec. She was given a 28 day course of panacur and seemed to have really brightened up. 2 weeks ago we noticed she had begun to lose weight again so we took her back and they have put her back on a 28 day course of panacur which we have been giving her.

All seemed to be fine and dandy, she was brightening up again but last night when we went to give her her panacur, we noticed she had a big gloopy bit of poo on her bits and she was a right mess. We cleaned her up and thought (perhaps naively) that it was a one off. We are due to see the vet this week for a check up and thought we'd mention it when we saw them.

We have checked her again today and she is worse than she was last night. We have cleaned her up and the oh is drying her off with a warm towel but we definitely know something is up now.

I really don't know what to do as we can't have her constantly messing herself because it can't be doing her any good and it must be a sign that there is something wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Her diet has not changed: she gets her veg and a hay top up in the morning, hay and pellets about 5.30 then hay and panacur before bed.

Help my poor baby girl!!!

No advice but it doesnt sound too great :( Maybe get her to the vets sooner than you thought :? Or could you not telephone the vets for advice?? Hope this gets sorted, vibes for Tilly xXx

Hello :)

Is Tilly maintaining her weight ? What were the symptoms that led your Vet to diagnose EC? Has she had blood tests? Any other treatment appart from the Panacur?

Is Tilly the Agouti Lop ? I am wondering if she may have some Dental problems going on. This can make it difficult for the Bun to clean themself.
Whilst you say she always has access to hay how much is she actually eating? If she is filling up on Pellets and Veg and just picking at the hay then she wont be ingesting enough long fibre, essential for a healthy GI tract. Also, not eating much hay will make Dental problems more likely. I asked if Tilly is the Lop as Lops have a predisposition toward Denral problems because of the shape of their skull.

Does she have any hind leg weakness as a result of the suspected EC? If so this can also mean a Bun has difficulty in cleaning themself.
If she is 'well within herself', passing some 'normal' poos and eating/drinking OK then for today I would try to encourage her to eat as much hay as possible, even if this means reducing the amount of pellets you feed. Dark leafy greens (minimal portion) will be OK but I'd avoid Carrots and Fruit as the high sugar content can exacerbate gut problems. A probiotic added to her drinking water would be useful too.

It does not sound as though she has actual diarrhoea but is not eating/passing excess cecotrophs (soft poo that Bun should eat hot off the press so-to-speak!!). Reasons for this are often dietary/Dental related or the result of some sort of mobility problem. I'd ask you Vet to give her a good check-up tomorrow

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help everyone but Tilly passed a few moments ago in my oh's arms. We've put her back in with Zorro so that he knows shes gone.

Thanks for all the help everyone but Tilly passed a few moments ago in my oh's arms. We've put her back in with Zorro so that he knows shes gone.

oh no!!!:( im so so sorry to hear this, a loverly pair of bunnys :( my thoughts are with you oh and zorro xx

Oh no :( :cry: So sorry to hear this. Im sure you did everything you could for Tilly. Hope Zorro is ok, nose rubs for him :) xXx

Back