• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

worried about keeping them warm

im worried about diego and dora getting too cold. they live in a 6x8 shed with permanent access to a 10 x 6 run. the shed is a bit on the cold side although they have been fine til now. ive tried filling an area with hay and also with shredded paper for them to snuggle into to keep warm, but they only use it as a toilet and then they get out again.
i want to get them the snugglesafe but simply cant afford it until next week.
i have a fleece blanket specially made for the chinchillas and i was thinking of putting this inside an open carrier and then maybe putting a spare duvet over it to create a warm space... but would they eat the duvet and wouldnt that be dangerous for them?
they dont seem too fussed with it all, they just seem happy to sit on the floor in the middle of the shed :roll:

is there anything more i can do??

Im having the same trouble. I have a shed of similar size, so bought a pack of NIC cubes (From b&q) make a nice setup, filled it all with nice warm straw and covered it with loads of towels,and a big throw, a sheet of water proof then a duvet on the top (They love to sit on the top and look out the window) Mine dont eat there duvet, they love it, and Ella is a very destructive bunny 2 and theyve not tried to eat it,YET :lol:
u usally see em sprawled out on it if u creep up to the shed!
I have lino down in my shed, but put a big hard wearing rug down aswell, and i have curtains at the windows (theres 4 windows)
If you cant really afford a snuggle safe, I put 2 hot water bottles in an old pillow case and fill it full of straw! They LOVE it :love::love::love:

I think if you're providing them with lots of straw and hay to bed down in, they should be fine.
Mine have lovely straw filled hutches in their enclosures, and have NEVER used them. They prefer either on top of the hutch, or in the middle of the run.
They'll have grown their winter coats by now and have each other to snuggle up to, so I'm sure they're fine.

If they were cold they would use the bedding you are providing, the fact that they are not shows they are coping just fine.

Rabbits really are prone more to extremes of heat than extremes of cold, a healthy rabbit should be able to regulate their body temperature adequately.

thanks guys, i think im paranoid about it all. my mum says i worry too much... but her track record of keeping pets includes the freezing of a rabbit and a hamster :cry: think its why im so worried, cant bear losing my two after only just getting them this year.
ive just put the carrier and fleece in and they seem happy, will check them again later when i do their pellets etc

You could put a big cardboard box in with 2 holes in (I find they prefer 2 holes), closed up not open topped, with a piece of carpet and a piece of fleece in.

I do this with Bloss and Pip's who also live in a shed but I have to replace the box every 3 or 4 days and the enjoy destroying it :lol:

I think your buns will have grown a thick coat if they are outside buns so providing they are kept dry they should be fine.

Rabswood

If you cant afford a hutch snuggler (i know I cant at the min) then you can buy something called thermo wrap from BnQ or homebase and either staple gun or tack it to the sides and top of the hutch. Then cover with some plastic sheeting (again homebase or BnQ) and you will have a make shift snuggler that is just as good!

I just went to put Sooty's snugglesafe in her shed and she is sitting outside on the slabs :roll:

Back