• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny needs to go to brat camp

Fern is driving me mad, she is so naughty. I'm constantly telling her off, or chasing her out of things. She's eaten the plaster of all the corners of the walls (so I've glued on some plastic stuff to stop that), she's nibbled the wooden window frames, my very expensive bedroom furniture when she escaped into there when I was at work, short circuited the electrics when she ate the power cables behind the tv, which cost me a fortune to get re wired. All the wiring is covered in the plastic wire cover wrap stuff but she still gets through it, I've had to buy a new phone because she's gone through the cable, she eats the carpet, the doors, she had my new copy of Olive magazine off of the coffee table the other day and ate that.

I don't know what to do with her. Any suggestions?

She makes me so mad I just want to :censored:

bunnys do like the chew. The best thing to do with wires is to remove them completely by blocking of areas behinf the tv etc. Willow balls, cardboard tubes, boxes a digging box full of newspaper or shredded paper and so on will all help to distract her. If she does for something she's not supposed to chew try a firm no and give her something she can chew. I does decrease with time & mine will generally not eat the carpet any more although they have discovered the joys of chewing wallpaper.

I know it is the last thing you want to hear, but she is just being a bunny!
Couple of things that may help.
First, distraction. Make her a diggy box, big ole cardboard box with holes cut in, put old phone books, hay, and newspaper and let her do her thing.
2nd, anything you really want to protect, rub a little soap on. We have done it with good new pine furniture that was irresistible to our 4, and it has worked wonders. One sniff and they walk off.

Also, don't bother covering just the wires, just block all access to dangers like wires... works out easier in the long run!
Hope that Helps!

We've been through the exact same. Leon loves to chew and get into all those places he know he shouldnt be!
We have had to replace the phones wires a few times, we,ve had to replaster a part of the wall, some of the wall paper has been ripped off and he's kindly shortened my curtains for me! His thing at the moment is sneakin into the cupboard and going behind the washing machine, he knows I cant get him in there, arrgghhhhh!

I found once I got him neutered he didnt do these things as much. I have blocked off the back of the t.v and the phone area so he's lost interest for the moment!

For some reason he isnt interested in the cables that he cant get to easily!

I think Fern might be related to my dog. :lol: You should have seen what he did to my house between bringing him home and him being about 18 months old.

The only advice I can give is neuter her if you already haven't and take it all in good humour. No point being angry with her as whatever she's done it's your fault for leaving her in a position where she could do all those things. You should overengineer any bunny proofing (never underestimate them) and if she's doing it while you're out, you need to put her in something like a 4 foot by 3 foot dog crate with lots to keep her occupied.

being with a calm non chewer may help if she was bonded....neutering would help if not already maybe she would prefer being outdoors(obviously dont put her out until its warmer as wont have winter coat. lots of toys adn digging boxes and chewwy things she IS allowed ...the stop chewwing spray may help tho i know some buns ingore it.. block off any cables or put wires in rubber reinforced hosepipe(and paint colour of your choice) as mine dont get through the hosepipe good luck xxx

I agree - get lots of chewing stuff!!

I often find really old books or towels are good, and also huge pieces of brown paper scrunched up (or after Christmas give her the left over opened wrapping to work on!!)

Good luck!

Back