• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I have a new mini lop bunny-help!

vickyplum

Warren Scout
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum joined because I have a new female mini lop called Ruby and I am unfamiliar with a few things.

Firstly, I don't think she knows how to drink from her water bottle although I have showed her it several times, any ideas?

Secondly, I am trying to teach her to do her buisness in a litter tray in the corner of the cage but I am not confident I am doing a good job, any advice?

Thirdly, i think she could be deaf! She doesnt react to loud noises and gets shook up when she doesnt see us near her.

If anyone can offer any advice for a new owner to this type of bunny I would be so grateful. She is so cute and friendly, like a little ball of fluff, I will put a picture on very soon!

Cheers,

Vicky

1. You could provide a bowl of water for her to drink out of. It'll have to be made of earthenware as it needs to be heavy.

2. If you find any poos or wet bedding, put it into the litter tray. Also, put the hay source in or near the litter tray, so they can go as they eat.

3. Take her to the vet for him to check her hearing. Also, she'll need a good health check anyway, and also sexed correctly.

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try. Even if Ruby is deaf its not a big deal to me but it will make it easier for me to interact with her if I know she is.

I would prefer her to learn to drink from a bottle as it is more hygenic and I am certain the breeder used a bottle for her in the cage she was previously in, quite strange really!

Are you certain she's not drinking from the bottle when you're not watching?

Does she eat much fresh veggies/grass? They have a water content, a bunny that eats a lot of fresh things often don't need to drink as much from a bottle.

Welcome to RU, Good luck with your new bunny, there is some great advice available here :)

Hi and welcome, when i first had Poppy she drank from a bottle, but gradually refused it she much more prefers a bowl.I just change the water 2/3 times a day, as she usually drops her hay in it.:lol::lol::lol:Debx

Secondly, I am trying to teach her to do her buisness in a litter tray in the corner of the cage but I am not confident I am doing a good job, any advice?

Until she's spayed she will want to mark her territory, once she is spayed she should slowly start to become litter trained.

The only poo's I find outside of the litter trays now are those that get knocked out, before I got my three spayed/castrated it was a mess! :shock:

You want to encourage a bun to drink more water. I find that they drink more on a bowl than a bottle. For 1 thing, they don't have to invert their neck to suck the water in.

Find the spot where your bun do her business, soak a towel w/ her urine, and then put the towel at the tray that you want her to pee. Take your bun to that spots a few times, then she'll know that's her spot

Thanks for all your replies!!! Much appreciated. Update, she is drinking from her bottle now but she is there for a few minutes, I have checked if the water is definetly coming out and it is. Is this normal? LOL I am like an over protective mother, I just want to make sure she is doing ok.

On an evening I put her on my lap and she rolls on her back with her legs in the air for ages and lets me tickle her, I had no idea rabbits could be this cute with so much character!

Back