• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone know about Stroke's, Zippy has had one 8-(

Is it certainly a stroke or did she have some kind of fit/convulsions? I've had a rabbit who fitted.

Hope she is OK :(

Thanks Sooz, not seen her fit or anything, she gets conjunctivitis loads (because of her teeth), picked up some cream from vets anyway doing her eye it didn't look right, so took her down just and all her one side of her face in paralysed, eye has gone droopy, one side of her mouth and all her cheek :(

Thanks Sooz, not seen her fit or anything, she gets conjunctivitis loads (because of her teeth), picked up some cream from vets anyway doing her eye it didn't look right, so took her down just and all her one side of her face in paralysed, eye has gone droopy, one side of her mouth and all her cheek :(

:(:(:(

What have the vets said about it?

Callie had fits, we think they were neurological, and she slowly lost the use of all her limbs and was totally paralyzed(I say slowly but it happened over a matter of hours). Sadly for her, there was nothing we could do....she had a steroid injection at the vets but it was already too late & her body was shutting down.

She didn't fit until we got her home so we didn't think to give her any anti-convulsants.

Vet said that she is an old rabbit, if it gets any worse starts effecting the rest or she stops eating then we have to do the kindest thing for her :cry:. She has not been fitting and seems quite active, but her face looks bad :(

Vet said that she is an old rabbit, if it gets any worse starts effecting the rest or she stops eating then we have to do the kindest thing for her :cry:. She has not been fitting and seems quite active, but her face looks bad :(

If she can still eat and drink and it isn't bothering her at the moment then that's a positive sign, she may even start to regain feeling over the next few days/weeks.

I don't know how well it would work on her face but you could try some physio to try and stimulate the nerves....Juno had physio three times a day and she has regained a lot of use of her leg, she now has it once a day.

I have only ever experienced one rabbit do it andhe had one at home and then when I took him to the vets and we were discussing options he jumped in my arms and had a major stroke and unfortunately the decision was made for us:cry:

I do know of somebodies bun who had one side of her face parallysed and after a few months it started to come back:D. I have everything crossed for you and Zippy

Is the Vet certain it's a stroke?
I have a Rabbit with partial facial paralysis as a result of a middle ear infection. The infection damaged the facial nerves.

Did the Vet do a neurological work-up?

If Zippy has had a history of Snuffles/Conjunctivitis/Jaw abscesses then maybe the infection is now in her middle ear :?

Thanks Kay and Sooz, just tried her on her soggy pellets and she isn't interested, but when I went to get her for the vets she was coming like she normally does when it's time for food, so wondering if she's a bit out of sorts for going to the vets. She seems physically ok, she is active etc, so will go and check on her again in a second.

In people, after a stroke, there is often a gradual improvement, though not necessarily full function returned.

Other than monitoring to make sure she's coping fine there probably isn't much else you can do. Sooz's idea of phsio is a good one :)

Is the Vet certain it's a stroke?
I have a Rabbit with partial facial paralysis as a result of a middle ear infection. The infection damaged the facial nerves.

Did the Vet do a neurological work-up?

If Zippy has had a history of Snuffles/Conjunctivitis/Jaw abscesses then maybe the infection is now in her middle ear :?

No he did say it could be nerve damage but more likely a stroke, she is my bun with molar problems, although she has had nearly all removed :(, she is on abx and eye drops for infections, but he thinks it stroke, she looks like my Nan did when she had hers.

I agree with Jane that it could be something else, but if it is a stroke - and believe you me they are common in buns:cry: - then the next 48 hours are crucial:(

What medication did the vet give her?

I also had a bun who had neurolgical problems and one side of the face was affected - unfortunately, he got so bad that he was unable to eat any more and to swallow:cry::cry:

Keep her warm and don't put her in bright light, keep the light softened for her - see if she can eat and drink and just love her like mad.

I'm truly sorry Tree, I am sending all the vibes that I can to Zippy:love:

Thanks so much guys, she is just on abx and eye drops at the minute (to help with the conjunctivitis, where do I go for physio?

Thanks so much guys, she is just on abx and eye drops at the minute (to help with the conjunctivitis, where do I go for physio?

I do it myself, the vets showed me how....I'm not sure what you would need to do on the face though, generally it's like a gentle massage....you manipulate the muscles in the hope that it starts to resensitise and stimulate the nerves into feeling and the muscles into contracting again.

If it affects her jaw then you may also need to help her flex it, this is the main exercise I have to focus on with Juno (only it's flexing of the joints).

I'll see if I can find any articles for you that might help, there was some stuff on the HRS site that helped with J.

Last edited:
Thanks Sooz, will have a go, she's deffo not eating :(

I've not found any instructions online yet but one article mentioning paralysis talks about the use of acupuncture in addition to physio? Might be worth considering but you would need a vet qualified to practice this.

Back