• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea pig spaying question

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
Hi everyone,

My little piggy Phoebe is having an ultrasound next week in order to assess whether she has ovarian cysts or a tumour, or just fluid. Monica is also having a scan for comparison.

I have several questions if it is ovarian cysts...

1. How well do guinea pigs tolerate GA's?
2. How difficult is the operation?
3. Does it improve life expectancy?

My vet who is very rabbit savvy has never spayed a guinea pig. She has spayed loads of bunnies but no piggies. She has never done abdominal surgery in a guinea pig. She has removed absesses though.

I am rushing ahead into the future here I know.... but i am so worried.

JOANNE pm Tracy at RGPW in Rugby
She neuters all her piggies but does have a very experienced vet..and also doesn't neuter them in winter months as they don't recover well
She should be able to advise

Jumble was the first pig our vets speyed, she didn't survive, but I suspect that it was just a bad set of circumstances- eg, their first time, nervous pig and we were new to nursing her. Motley came through with flying colours, and by the time we decided to op she had lost a lot of weight and was still losing it, so it was a last ditch attempt. From our experience with Motley, I would say she really needed the op as she was continuing to lose weight. She lived for another year, and I'm sure she would not have lived that long if left.

I had two boars neutered (Oscar and my friend's pig) by my rabbit vet and both boys were fine with the GA. Vets can actually confer with other vets re anesthetics etc. The vets I use are Abbey Vets the main branch is in Barnsely south Yorkshire. I am sure they would be happy to help.

Rabswod

I had a piggy that had to have an operation on his bladder. It was a very experienced exotics vet that did it and he got through it very well. He stayed at the vets overnight and when I brought him home the next day he was very active and happy. I had to put him in a small cage to restrict his movement because he was running around like nothing had happened :shock:

Back