• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holli's spay? Opinions please

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
When my girl, Piper went in for her spay, the vets had alot of trouble bringing her around again, though they did get her to come around eventually, and was allowed home the same day, Im worried incase the same happens to Holli (piper is her mam) :(
Weve had Holli since the day she was born, and ill be gutted if anything happens to her. has anyone had this happen before, esp to more than one rabbit who is related?
I know getting Hol spayed will eliminate her chances of getting uterine cancer, but im terrified incase she goes to the bridge :(
I was so upset about Piper, that i sat crying my eyes out till I knew she was ok!
I plan on booking Holli in, IF i get it done,after xmas/new year when ive settled in 2 my new job
Im just unsure :(

When my girl, Piper went in for her spay, the vets had alot of trouble bringing her around again, though they did get her to come around eventually, and was allowed home the same day, Im worried incase the same happens to Holli (piper is her mam) :(
Weve had Holli since the day she was born, and ill be gutted if anything happens to her. has anyone had this happen before, esp to more than one rabbit who is related?
I know getting Hol spayed will eliminate her chances of getting uterine cancer, but im terrified incase she goes to the bridge :(
I was so upset about Piper, that i sat crying my eyes out till I knew she was ok!
I plan on booking Holli in, IF i get it done,after xmas/new year when ive settled in 2 my new job
Im just unsure :(

Do you know what anaesthetic they used on Piper? Some bunnies have different reactions to anaesthetics so it's a case of finding the right level of a combination of drugs for that bunny. Teddy has a bad reaction to anaesthetics as it takes a lot to get him under. My vet has to be careful getting it right for him. Last time it took him until the next day to come round, it was awful. :cry:

Do you know what anaesthetic they used on Piper? Some bunnies have different reactions to anaesthetics so it's a case of finding the right level of a combination of drugs for that bunny. Teddy has a bad reaction to anaesthetics as it takes a lot to get him under. My vet has to be careful getting it right for him. Last time it took him until the next day to come round, it was awful. :cry:

Was going to say the same thing. Could have been down to the anaethetic. I would talk to your vets and tell them your worries.

It's a different reaction but, when Esme went to be spayed she stopped breathing under anaesthetic and had to be brought out of the anaesthetic quickly and couldn't be spayed that day.

She was later spayed using a different anaesthetic and had no problems whatsoever. The vet who did the spay said there are a lot of reasons she could have stopped breathing, not necessarily directly a reaction to the anaesthetic. The vet also said she believed Esme was at no greater risk from anaesthetic because of her history.

Although your situation is different it could be the same answer that she is not at any greater risk than any other bunny, but I know how difficult it is. Keep asking questions until you are reassured - it took me ages to pluck up the courage to try again for Esme.

Thanks guys, as i say holli is pipers baby and im so so worried that we'll loose her.
The vets I use are fantastic, and I know my sensible side is saying stop over reacting woman theyll look after her for you!
I had her booked her in not long after Piper, and chickened out and cancelled.

Eeeeeeeeee she does! yey holli has a twinny :p actually when Holli was born, there was another 7 kits, and Holli and another bunny were the only white bunnys in the bunch, so we named em Holli and Olli
My holli bolli is still really little but her dad is tiny (phoebe, the black bunny in the photo) shes such a little rascal but i love her so much!

Back