• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do about porky bunny?

Lillian

Warren Veteran
I made a post in august about my bun Hattie being overweight and how we were giving her free range of the garden to try to help her lose weight. Sadly with the bad weather she is stuck in her shed on a daily basis now. Anyway she never really lost any weight.. i was looking through old photos of when we first got hattie and was shocked at the weight shes put on...

She went from this
day36.jpg

hattiemum.jpg

t12daysold.jpg

to this..

hattie020.jpg

hattie024.jpg

She started getting porky when she was nursing, then after her spay she kept getting bigger and bigger. I dont know what to do, shes only young and i dont want her to put anymore weight on. But she lives with her daughter and granddaughters, so any food changes will affect them all. I suggested to my mum that we dont give her rabbit food for a few days but she still keeps feeding them. What choices do we have?

How much are you feeding? Are you feeding museli type food or pellet type? Pellets will stop her selective feeding and picking out the yummy fatty bits. You should only be giving her a small handful of this a day, and then unlimited hay (very important) basically more hay less sugary fatty food, so less pellets and sugary fruit eg apples etc.
Hope that helps!

First she was fed of museli food but we changed to pellets to try to get her to lose weight but she ate more. She has a mix of both now, they are fed about a handful each.. but Hattie helps herself to the others food too. They have loads of hay and readigrass.

Most females that get spayed put on weight.I have three bunnies which live together and are free range,two boys and a girl,they have all been neutered and the boys are alright but Honey looks like she ate a football:shock::shock::lol:.Honey is very picky with her food and she is still podgey.Your bun doesnt look to bad in the pic.Try cutting down on her pellets and give her more hey

TBH id get her onto pellets and measure food out exact! ive started doing this as Piper and Holli are both little porkers, and the vet has warned me there both at the top end of the weight they should be, so now they get unlimited hay, measured out pellets and veggies

Back