• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lars' death

bridget

Alpha Buck
My boyfriend and I and really struggling to come to terms with this - we have been crying on and off since Tuesday morning. :cry:

The thing is, we said a few weeks ago that he didn't seem his normal self but then again, he was a little grumpy. He'd been getting a white discharge and he had penicillin but it kept coming back. He was outside in a hutch with his chum, kirk but I used to worry he would be cold and Brian would pack out the side section with straw so kirk and him could snuggle up.

Now looking back I feel partly responsible for his death. The vet still doesn't know what happened but when we bought him in from his hutch he looked absolutely pathetic and talk about on death's door :( He kept falling over onto his face and then went lopsided onto his left side and looked what like was a seizure. The vet said he may have had a stroke. I just can't get this image of him out of my head and his little heart not beating so quick as normal. I can't get over his loss. From the symptoms can anyone think what this could be please???

The vet mentioned trauma but nothing ever seemed to bother him at all.. we have no foxes in the garden either.

thank you in advance xx

I am so sorry to read about Lars :cry:
Really it is impossible to say for certain why he passed away. I am sure you are not responsible although I know we all question ourself endlessly when we loose a Bunny. All the 'what ifs'.........

As he had a history of Respiratory Tract infections then that might have played a part. The loss of balance indicates some sort of Central Nervous System involvement. This might be related to middle ear infection, EC, a Brain abscess..............

But its all guesswork really. I would advise you to ask your Vet about treating Kirk with a course of Fenbendazole (Panacur/Lapizole) incase EC played any part in poor Lars' demise.

Here is some information about EC and its treatment:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/ecuniculi.htm

http://www.intervet.co.uk/products_public/panacur_rabbit/010_overview.asp

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Genitrix_Ltd/Lapizole/-43601.html

My boyfriend and I and really struggling to come to terms with this - we have been crying on and off since Tuesday morning. :cry:

The thing is, we said a few weeks ago that he didn't seem his normal self but then again, he was a little grumpy. He'd been getting a white discharge and he had penicillin but it kept coming back. He was outside in a hutch with his chum, kirk but I used to worry he would be cold and Brian would pack out the side section with straw so kirk and him could snuggle up.

Now looking back I feel partly responsible for his death. The vet still doesn't know what happened but when we bought him in from his hutch he looked absolutely pathetic and talk about on death's door :( He kept falling over onto his face and then went lopsided onto his left side and looked what like was a seizure. The vet said he may have had a stroke. I just can't get this image of him out of my head and his little heart not beating so quick as normal. I can't get over his loss. From the symptoms can anyone think what this could be please???

The vet mentioned trauma but nothing ever seemed to bother him at all.. we have no foxes in the garden either.

thank you in advance xx

im so sorry for your loss hun. Me and my o/h have just lost our little girl after 8 1/2 yrs we are both devastated.

Dnt blame yourself hun. Im not sure what could have caused it, how is kirk?.
x

Thank you for your kind messages - we really appreciate it x

We are going to the vet either tomorrow night or sat morning to get Kirk's vaccinations up-to-date.

Kirk is currently out in the garden. We are have just moved his hutch into the shed - we don't want him chilly. :) He seems ok.. he is eating but I just wonder what he's thinking. .. ;) We are hoping to get a little girlfriend for Kirk this weekend as we now have room for another and Kirk would adore a little friend to snuggle up to :D

We are so sorry to hear of your loss. Your little girl and our little boy are at peace together :angel:

xx

Last edited:
I am so sorry for your loss. I think we all have "what ifs" when we lose someone or something close to us. Please don't feel bad, sometimes there is just nothing we can do, it sounds like you were doing all you could already.

Take care.

Back