• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

warning herbs!

bunlover

Warren Veteran
hi guys i know many of you like me feed herbs to buns, well iv been alerted to an article by mum in the times this week saying that there have been problems with basil bought in the suermarket i dont know if you can feed buns basil but i would assume that the same can be said for other herbs such as parsley and corriander..... the article reads

"Basil poisoning scare
consumers are being urged to wash fresh basil after 32 cases of samenella senftenberg food poisoning were linked to contaminated leaves the health protection agency started an enquirey into fresh ready to eat herbs on sale in supermarkets and other shops between may and october last year, only leaves grown in isreal had the sickness bacterium"

dont know if buns can get food poisoning but just in casse ensure any herbs or leaves etc are washed properly even if say ready washed! :)

must admit im wary with any veg fruit or herb thats bagged, so i try to either get it fresh from greengrocers or grow my own, didnt realise you can get a bug like that from herbs but i suppose its not the plant its how its packed and im sure abroad they have differant rules of packing in terms of hygiene

aw gawd i bought parsely and corriander out of sainsbury's there cause i didn't get a chance at the weekend to go to the veg shop, i did thoroughly rinse them under the tap. :shock: might not give them any tonight just incase they can get an extra helping of timothy hay.

i just fed the buns basil today and was horrifeid when i checked the packet and saw they were from israel! well that has gone in the bin!! i do always rinse them anyway but don't want to take any chances!
thansk for the info!

Thanks for this.

I was everything and peel carrots before I give them to the pigs and buns.

Rabswood

Back