• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Antibiotics

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Just for my own interest I was wondering what different antibiotics you have given to your rabbit.

I would be really grateful if you let me know the name of the antibiotic, what it was used to treat, whether it was oral or injected and whether it was successful.

Thank you :)

Baytril for myxi and for abcesses and also septrin also for an abcess....not sure whether you could say the septrin was sucessful because Bella had to be pts because she just got one abcess after another on her face in different places.

eta....septrin was oral

Last edited:
Baytril-Oral and Injected-URTI,UTI,Bite wounds, Otitis media
Septrin-Oral and Injected-URTI
Ceporex- Injected-Abscesses
Depocillin- Must only be Injected-Abscesses,Pneumonia,Osteomyelitis

:)

Wellie had Depocillin injected when he had a tooth root abscess. Unfortunately he died i think from enteritis as a result of the antibiotics :(

Thank you for your replies:D

Does anyone know if there is a big difference between oral and injected baytril/septrin?

the vet I spoke to yesterday said it only takes 10 minutes for oral baytril to enter the system, so was just wondering :)

Baytril - usually by injection for any number of ailments on occasion orally depending on the bun
Depocillin - i have only used this once for Eva when she had some sort of liver infection but neither the vets or me really had much of a clue, baytril hadn't done a thing so this was the next thing and it worked she got better but we still don't know what was wrong

Baytril, Oral & Injectable: Pasteurella, wound infection & urinary tract infection....hasn't worked well on Pastuerella in either form despite C&S testing. Injection led to Baytril burn.

Trimethorpim Oral: Coccidiosis

Septrin Oral: Pastuerella & wound infection, again very little effect on pasturella despite C&S testing.

Ceporex Oral: Abcesses, worked well on a minor abcess on the external upper lip....have only been using it for two days on a mandibular abcess so far.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies:D

Does anyone know if there is a big difference between oral and injected baytril/septrin?

the vet I spoke to yesterday said it only takes 10 minutes for oral baytril to enter the system, so was just wondering :)

You can read the abx Data Sheets here:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Compendium-datasheets_A-Z/Datasheets/-23637.html

I usually give all abx by injection (with my Vet's say so of course!) as there is less risk of GI disturbance. Also, the Bun's GI function may be compromised as they are poorly so it may take some time for a therapeutic dose to enter the bloodstream if the abx is given orally.

baytril ...oral and by injection ... abcessess , snuffles , infected wounds ...
in case of abccessess was followed by other antibiotics as wasnt realy effective .

oral septrin ... abccess , snotty noses ... with succes

ceporex ... oral .. abcess ... kept thumpers abcess under control but didnt cure it .. but he was 10yr old and also had other probs .

depoccillin..imjectable ... abccess ... not successful :( bun pts

Duphapen - injected - for jaw abscess - unsuccessful on its own

Azithromycin - oral - very successful with abscesses

zythromax(azithromycin)-orally for headtilt and it was remarkable, saw results in just 2 days. It also supposed to work great for abscesses although i haven't personally tried that.

Duphapen(inj)-headtilt, worked slowly but then we went onto the zythromax

amphicillin (inj)-for an abcess but we saw no big improvements

Baytril - oral - given to everybun at one time or another to prevent infections after neutering, bites etc which has been fine. Not successful on two bun with abcesses though. Abcess started whilst on the baytril with one bun.

Baytril - Injectable - given to 1 bun for a prolonged period - no effect on the runny nose (but we think it was a tooth root problem). After 4 months of daily injections the injection sites started to show baytril burn.

Septrin - oral paediatric solution - only taken for 7 days but the runny nose stopped, then bun refused to eat anymore :roll:.

Septrin - injectable - for runny nose - stopped after 4 days due to bad burn reaction at injection sites.

Manuka (sp??) Honey is supposed to be good for abcesses too - we will try it next time. It has it's own antibiotic properties and the high sugar content stops bacterial growth. (Thanks to Hilda for this info :wave:)

Last edited:
Manuka (sp??) Honey is supposed to be good for abcesses too - we will try it next time. It has it's own antibiotic properties and the high sugar content stops bacterial growth. (Thanks to Hilda for this info :wave:)

I have Mackenzie on UMF 20 Manuka at the moment, I pack his abcess out with it over night...peel it off and swab the site in the morning and then insert Baytril into it for the day.

I've never used it before so am waiting to see how it goes. It's day 2 post op and there is very little inflammation but a fair bit of dead tissue coming away.

Baytril, for almost everything initially, as it is one of the few antibiotics licenced for rabbits.
Betamox LA, for abscesses- worked well, and vets have now saved other bunnies using it, after mine were guinea pigs.:lol: They have also used it in a chinchilla with good results.
Micotil, can't remember what for, but think for respiratory and gut problems, but will check with vets when I get the chance.
That is about it, although I have used manuka honey and I am sure it helped with Jess's abscess.

antibiotics.

baytril injectable and one i can,t remember but contained Penicillin for an eye infection (i was terrified of this one as i know pen is toxic but me vet assured me it was safe)think it began with an A:? Engermycin injectable (not recommended)
And i have used the one now known as "Bicillin" although when my bun was prescribed this (after c & S) it wasn't called that and my vet had to get written permission to use it:cry:It was for abcess and before the drug was banned in 1999 so a long time ago now:)but it cleared the multible abcessing on my french lop doe so did a brilliant job:)

Engemycin/terramycin (oxytetracycline) injectable - this seems to be a 'regional' favourite I've noticed, lots of vets over this side of London seem to use it a lot, whereas vets on the western side tend to use penicillin in similar circumstances. I wonder whether there's a bunny expert on either side of the Capital recommending different things :lol: I've used this loads and find it really effective, it's long acting so only needs giving once every 3 days, it's really safe and it's very broad spectrum. I have had significant success with this on Eddie (after swapping to this from Baytril he put on over 10% of his bodyweight in just a few days) and it also works extremely well on Santa's snuffles.

Baytril - same as everyone else...sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't - depends what it's being used on!

Ronaxan (doxycycline) oral tablet form - also used in snuffles, some vets are worried about using this orally but my previous vet said she used to use it loads including for long term problems and never had an issue. It has particularly good affinity for lung tissue so seems to work well on deep seated snuffles.

Penicillin injectable - same as the others, seems to be pretty effective although my vet always prefers engemycin as a starting point (apart from for syphillis) as she says it is similar acting but broader spectrum and less risk of GI disturbance.

Septrin oral - didn't work at all for Santa's snuffles but other people have really good results. I remember reading once that septrin is inactivated by pus, so it's not a good choice for infections that are pussy. I also have vague recollections that it works at the opposite end of the bacterial spectrum to penicillin.

Last edited:
Back