• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tila had his surgery today.

Banni Binky

Warren Scout
As the title states, Tila had his incisor teeth removed today. He came through it fine, and he is home now. He's on 0.8mL twice daily oral baytril to treat the osteomyelitis, and he will be reassessed when the course is over (around a month).

He seems okay, but I am keeping him in the laundry to keep a closer eye on him (he's usually a permanent outdoor bunny). How long should I keep him inside, will he be okay to go back out tomorrow providing he isn't in too much pain or stressed out?

I know that their nose and eyes are connected to their mouth/throat, so is it normal to get a few tears and little snuffles? When should I begin to worry about them?

Also he hasn't seemed to have eaten yet, and quite frankly I don't blame him. I've given him both pellets and mushed up food so he has a choice, but how long should it be before I need to worry about GI stasis?

Other than that, he seems okay, being all inquisitive and invesitgating everything in the laundry - safe to say i moved the bin :lol: just in case. He's enjoying the night breeze - stretched out across the bottom of the screen door on the tiles ^-^

Was he sent home with pain killers, gosh i hope so. i wouldnt want my teeth pulled without some sort of pain relief

He was given pain relief while in hospital, though i havent been given any extra. He doesn't seem to be in any pain, though if he starts showing signs i will definitely asked for some to be prescribed.

Anorexia and weeping eyes are both signs of pain in rabbits. anorexia if left unchecked can lead to ileus (gut stasis0 which can be serious. i would go and get some pain relief today
Goodluck

This morning i got up and he had diarroeah and still not eating. I syringe fed him banana and called the vet. i have to take him off the baytril for 24hrs. I called home for an update at lunch, im still at work, and he is nibbling hay and banana so im taking that as a good sign.

Some bun needs pain killer for a few days, some don't. My bun Bernie was having his teeth trim down, and the vet ask me to give painkiller for 3 days, but in the end, I only give 1 day (the 2nd day) (as he had metacam just after surgery), and his diet clearly shows he no longer need any painkiller

I recommend you to give your bun some treats to re-induce his regular diet

Back