• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Huge fox in my garden!!

Joob-joobs

Mama Doe
OMG, I'm shaking!

I was woken about 20 minutes ago by my O/H who could hear 2 of the buns thumping, he was sitting by the window with it open and speaking to the buns who are on the patio below. He was trying to calm them down so he could get back to sleep. He thought it was because it's really windy here and the tarp had blown off Joey's hutch.

He went to the loo and I hung my head out the window to speak to the buns.... then I noticed it.. a huge fox sitting in the rockery, about 6 feet from Leo's hutch! OMG, my heart was in my mouth!

I ran downstairs, straight outside and the thing just ran to the other end of the garden and sat there looking at me! :evil: I chased after it and it jumped the fence into next doors garden so I started looking for something to throw at it (not at it really, just round it to encourage it to run away). It jumped back into the side part of my garden then over the 6ft front fence and I made all sorts of horrendous noises at it until it went running down the street.

I've checked all the buns who seem fine and I've confined Skye to the hutch part of her combo for tonight - the tarp doesn't cover the run totally so I'm scared that she has seen it. She was quieter than usual so I really hope that she'll be ok. The other two buns don't have attached hutches so I've made sure that all tarps are strapped down extra tonight. I've even added hooks to the corners as well as velcro. They also have plenty of hay to snuggle in to.

It's not possible to bring them in, I would if I could but is there anything else I can do? I know about the human pee on the perimeter so O/H will be getting asked to pee in a jug at some point today!!

Help! What else can I do to deter the fox. I have a motion sensitive light out the back which we usually turn off when I go to bed. Would that deter the fox or just let it see what it was doing!!?

the only thing I can think of is to soak it. Throw a basin of water on it :evil: I didn't know they could get over a 6ft fence :shock: Your poor bunnies must be terrified.

yeah id chuck water at it if it comes back, or just make sure ur OH helps u out :lol:

hope it doesnt come bk tho

You can buy electronic fox deterents, possibly add a security light so that it comes on when movement is detected. Sounds like you have done all you can about securing down the hutches at night.

Oh no! eyeing up your bunsters! citronella can keep dogs and cats away, so maybe foxes too? And you can get these thing that let off a high pitched noise they hate from homebase (cats hate this noise too though so don't get 1 if you have cats)

Oh no! eyeing up your bunsters! citronella can keep dogs and cats away, so maybe foxes too? And you can get these thing that let off a high pitched noise they hate from homebase (cats hate this noise too though so don't get 1 if you have cats)

I've never heard of the hight pitched noise thing. I'll look into that. Does anyone know how effective they are?

not sure how they work with foxes but my mum got one as a cat was coming in her garden and eating the bread she was putting out for the birds (it is her neighbour's cat and perfectly well fed!) the cat just sits under it now as if to say "you can't get rid of me" :lol:

Believe me nothing deters foxes.I would make sure your bunnies are very safe in future because foxes are relentless and wont give up until they get what they came for and this one has seen your bunnies on the menu for tea.

Believe me nothing deters foxes.I would make sure your bunnies are very safe in future because foxes are relentless and wont give up until they get what they came for and this one has seen your bunnies on the menu for tea.

thats true.. it took a week for the fox to get the bunny of my work mate but it got him in the end :cry::cry::cry:

Did it look like this ?
foxandnimbus015.jpg

please reinforce you hutch with extra strong mesh if you havnt already, a fox recently chewed through the weldmesh on my hutch and killed both my buns :(

the one in the picture is the one that comes in my garden shes not even bothered by me but she doesnt seem to like the ferrets always stays clear of thier set up>

Can you sleep with your window open to alert you ASAP? I'm sure it'll be back after we moved ours indoors they were still coming up to our back door for a week or so, they probably still are although I haven't seen any evidence recently. Could you wedge some things up against the run/front of hutches to make it harder/noisier for mr fox to get close? :(

huge fox in my garden!!

Please get your bunnies somewhere safe:cry:this fox WILL be back and it will keep on coming back until it gets them:shock::cry:
Can you not put them indoors at night (foxes come out during the day as well) or get a small shed for them:)
I have to put up with foxes in my garden day and night:evil:they come into my house (so NO houserabbits for me now!!)and go upstairs if i am not around to chase them out:evil:keeping my bunnies safe is a nightmare for me so i know that you will have trouble too:cry:
If not perhaps you could construct some sort of shelter to put over their hutches anything to try to keep the fox away from them:cry:
I will be thinking of you and hope your bunnies have a safe night:)

Oh god how scarey for you. Ive not seen foxes round here but know there are some, one killed a friends sons dog, tore it to peices!

Id be inclined to try one of those high pitched things, also could you build like a huge run, like used for dogs and fit it over/around the hutches?

Back