• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Emergency please HELP!!!

tomswife29

Young Bun
My bunny Don Juan stopped eating 2 weeks ago and i took him to the vet right away. she said he had gi stasis and i bought all the meds and the critical care food. i gave him everything for a week, and after the first 2 days he was much better, pooping a little and eating a little on his own. its been a week and a half now and he is hopping around and acting like his usual self(no more stretching out from his tummy pains), he seems to be drinking more, but he isnt eating. he ate a small carrot and a tiny bit of lettuce but he wont eat his pellots or hay. all night and morning he hops around like crazy trying to chew anything he can find, except for his food. and when i pour him new food, he runs up to it like hes hungry, but then doesnt eat it. shouldnt he be eating by now? what should i do??? i alredy paid 400 for him i cant take him in again right now my vet is sooo expensive

It sounds as though your Rabbit has Dental problems. If he has a sore mouth from too long/too sharp teeth he wont eat because it hurts to do so. He will drink lots to try to soothe his mouth and fill up his empty tummy. His gut motility will slow down causing small dark poos and possibly GI stasis.

You need to consult the Vet again as if your Bun does have Dental problems he wont be able to eat until his teeth have been sorted out. He will continue to have gut problems and he will effectively starve :cry:

Good luck, I hope you can find a Vet to help him

I agree with Jane, it sounds like dental problems. My rabbit was like this last week and now his teeth are sorted he is eating OK again.

Good luck.

The reason he only eat soft food is because the soft food doesn't bother his teeth as much as hay or pellet, i.e., hay or pellet is too hard. If this continues, your bun could break the habit of eating hay, which would be very serious.

A teeth trim is cheap.

I agree is sounds dental and he needs to have his mouth checked by a vet. If you water down some pellets so they are soft is he happy to eat them?

i gave him soft pelets which he ate a little the first day but now he isnt. he is eating small pieces of apples and lettuce and cilantro right now, and a little of the criticle care(he mostly spits it out),hes not drinking as much as usual, but he is behaving like he normally does, besides the fact that hes sniffing around the room alot and grinding his teeth. i looked at his teeth and they dont look very long... i dont know what to do i lost my job a couple weeks ago and i cant afford to bring him in to the vet right now...

He really does need to see a vet asap as it sounds like his teeth are giving him trouble. You will not be able to see his molars yourself unless you have a special instrument. If your rabbit does not eat he will go into GI Statis which can be fatal.

Would your vet offer any payment plan where you can pay in installments?

I am sorry that you lost your job, it is very difficult at the moment here too.

def take him to the vet, if you have insurance then the vets can claim from them.
If you dnt take him anyway, wait till they help him , and then talk bout a payment plan, its not what i would normally say but having just gone through the same thing with shauny, without petplan and money (thankgod it was payday) i would have done that.
xx

I am so sorry you lost your job and I'm glad you still care about your bun.

This kind of surgery is very micky mouse, it's simple and short. W/ an otoscope, you'll see the rear molar is overgrow, and all the vet needs to do is to trim it.

If you let these teeth continues to grow, the sharpness of the tip of the teeth will injure the tongue, and the jaw, and then it will cause an abscess and then it will be difficult to treat and can endanger his life.

My bun Bernie just did this simple teeth trim, it only costs me CDN$290.

You need to ask your vet to do a "Deep sedation" of the bun for the first 1/2 of the procedure. Say there is 2 teeth to sand down, the deep sedation will last long enough to sand down 1 tooth. Then your vet will give an Ultra Short GA. Then he'll finish the remaining teeth, and that's it.

The above is not really meant to cut costs, as normal teeth trim requires a regular time interval GA. Rather, it reduces the amt. of time a bun is under a GA.

Now, your only task is to call around for a rabbit savvy vet and tell him your financial situation, and see if you can find a vet that takes monthly payment from you.

Back