• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bony rabbit

confusedman

Mama Doe
Last time I sent Fanta on holidays because we were going to Spain, the boarder (I don't know if this words exists) told me she was a bit bony. I was told not to feed her to much because it could be bad for her, in fact I was trying to cut down the amount of pellets to make her eat more hay.
Yesterday, while I was cuddling her I felt she was still bony and I was wondering if I should give her more pellets (even if it means she eats less hay) or if should do something else.
She is eating:
  • 20 gramms of pellets (A&P + Excel) in the morning
  • Excel Supa Forage + Excel Supa Herbage, as much as she can eat
  • Fresh vegetables and herbs (carrot, celery, cabbage, pepper...etc)
And resh fruit a couple of times every week
Please adviceeeeeeeeeeeee

I would increase her food but you could also try some porridge as this puts weight on them:D

if she hasnt always been so thin i would get the vet to check her out just incase theres something wrong with her... if shes at her normal weight and theres no concerns from your vet id leave her diet as it is :D

She doesnt seem to have any problem, but anyway in a couple of weeks I should bring ehr to the vets for the jabs. I would feel sad if after all this time controlling what she was eating I realise now she was underfed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from what you have listed i cant see how she is underfed tho, if she eats lots of hay and you give veg then the pellets should be in small quantities or shell get fat.. problem with crossbreds is we cant really tell for sure what weight they should be :(

do you know what sort of bunny she is? My nethie rose is about 1.2kg (although slightly tubby for a nethie) if she is anything but a nethie she might be a little underweight. can you feel a layer of fat over her spine and ribs or is it very sharp?

shesa mini lop
31.jpg

I think a fully grown minilop is about 1.5kg but that is only a guide as some are more mini than others. she doesn't look scary thin but she's so pretty and fluffy it's hard to tell.

my little monster is a mini lop and weighs around 1.6kg (I think it was that, or 1.4kg, my brain is tired!) He only gets about an eggcup of pellets a day.... He's quite bony but healthy. I read something that you should be able to feel the spines of a lop but not the ribs.... and that a bunny slightly underweight is prefered to one that is slightly overweight...if that makes sense?

She's a gorgeous bunster by the way! :love::love::love:

Back