• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT advice needed Buscopan UPDATE last post :)

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Teasal was off colour today and would not eat his eve meal. I rushed to (very good) vets. She says his upper stomach area is gassy and kept him in for monitoring after x-raying. She has given liquids and Buscopan. I was so dazed that I was not fit to ask questions. But why Buscopan???
Why not metaclopromide?I thought Buscopan was not good if they had slow guts???
Teasal is very very very beloved - I am beside myself.

Last edited:
Buscopan is a muscle relaxant I think. I am sure one of mine was given it once for tummy problems (blockage). Sorry I am not much help.

Sending vibes for your bunny.

Buscopan is used in horses with colic, and is an anti spasmodic/ pain killer. I've used in goats with colic, where they have stopped pooping and are obviously sore, it helped them.

Buscopan has saved many of our buns and freinds buns when they have had bloat :D It has also been used to treat the pain when they have abdominal cancers and things slow down:(
It helps the muscles stop spasming and gets them going at the right spasm that they are supposed to have:D

Buscopan has saved many of our buns and freinds buns when they have had bloat :D It has also been used to treat the pain when they have abdominal cancers and things slow down:(
It helps the muscles stop spasming and gets them going at the right spasm that they are supposed to have:D

Thank you for that . . . it has really relieved me. He is now back from vets as they thought he seemed much less gassy but I think he still seems very swollen. I am now chasing him round the patio in hoe of relieving it.

Update

Teasal now much better - we spent a while after he cam backfrom vets giving stomach rubs on a warm hot water bottle, and then chasing him round a bit and then rubs . . . suddenly there were some tummy gurgles and he was instantly like a new bunny!!!

Back