• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Deafness?

marleyandme

Mama Doe
This might be a stupid question...but how do you know if your bunny is deaf? I have a 5 month old mini lop and I think he might be deaf-he doesn't move when the are loud noises and seems to only react when there is movement or vibration. I can't be sure though, sometimes I think he might just not be interested in the noises I make or ignoring me on purpose :roll:

Just curious really, I've been trying to teach him a few words, like his name and 'litterbox' wondering if this is a little pointless as it is falling on deaf ears :lol:

One of my cashmere lops is deaf. I know because she gets a fright if she doesn't see me approaching, even if I make lots of noise and she doesn't react to loud noises either.
Lop eared rabbits don't hear as well as up eared rabbits and they are more prone to hearing problems so it may be that your bunny is deaf too.
It shouldn't really bother him if he is :)

i think my lop alvin may be deaf too... he doesnt react to a shaking treat tin, but pearl can hear it from the other room if i just move it :shock:

he doesnt react to noises at all but does come running when a light is turned on or we bang the floor to get his attention (floorboards not concrete).. im slowly getting used to his dead poses and no reaction when i call his name to wake him up..

i think if you really want it confirmed you could get a vet to check for you, i personally prefer to think that Alvin is deaf over ignorant and i dont want a vet telling me hes got perfect hearing :lol::lol:

My bun Honey (one in Avatar) is deaf and she's a lop too. I didn't know she was deaf when I rescued her 3 years ago but I am 100% sure she is totally deaf. If she is asleep in her hutch she never hears me approaching even if I am talking to her, I have even tried shouting and she still will not wake up! When my husband is cutting the grass with his very loud petrol mower she follows him around and is not frightened of the noise. Sometimes if she is awake in her hutch and doesn't see me approaching it really makes her jump when she finally notices me.
Having said all this I still talk to her and chat away to her, even though I suppose I am talking to myself really :lol:

Lop eared rabbits don't hear as well as up eared rabbits and they are more prone to hearing problems so it may be that your bunny is deaf too.
It shouldn't really bother him if he is :)

Never knew that. I suspect our wee chap Smudge is deaf too then. He never reacts to any noise. The two young girlies on the other hand come running when they hear the Excel pellets bag being opened!! Smudge just follows the crowd just in case he's missing out :mrgreen:

I have a couple of deaf rabbits and have had a few more previous - funnily enough they where and all are lops:shock:

Our Chewy-Chops is also blind in one eye so you have to make sure that you approach him from his sighted side or he gets one heck of a fright:shock:

Mind you, I have found that with him and with our darling Midnight, that me tapping on the floor let them know I am approaching:love::love:

jim is a rew lop and ive noticed hes slowly going deaf bless him, nothing wrong with his sense of smell though, i walk in without rattling the food box and he comes running:lol: any other time if i want his attention i tap on the floor

Thanks guys, I never thought it was related to lops.

I still talk to him aswell :oops: He nips a little bit (he has been fixed, but still does it-the vet said he is just one of those bunnies, I got him from a rescue. I think he does it to tell me things, eg when I'm stroking him he nips if I'm not doing it the way he wants it :roll: ) I read somewhere that rabbits don't realise that their nips can hurt so you should squeal when he does it so they know- I was doing this...although now that I know he is deaf it was pointless, just hope my neighbours didn't hear :lol:

Wondering now if he nips a little cos he is deaf? He's a feisty little bunny...

Back