• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Got a chicken coop - updated 07/12

SeanG

New Kit
This is what I've just bought

hutch1.jpg

hutch2.jpg

The run is 6ftx4ftx2ft high, the coop is approx. 4.5ftx2.5ftx3ft high. Part of the 4.5ft length is a nesting box which I intend to make into the sleeping area.

Intend modifications are to increase the size of the window and to blank off the areas underneath the coop and to the side.

My main question is regarding the sleeping area as it's only about 18inches sloping to 22 inches high - will this be fine or should I look at increasing the height.

I'd also be grateful for any other suggestions:)

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have added that the above is intended as a home for two 2 year old rabbits who are medium sized.

*and also that I left the roof sections off for the purposes of the photo.

Hi,
The coop itself is way too small for 2 medium rabbits. It should be at least 6ft x 2ft or 5ft x 3ft. The main coop section looks only about 3.5ft x 2.5ft to me. Could you not extend the coop? Looks like you're handy with a drill ;)

Would putting a shelf in near the window make it a hassle for cleaning out? That way they can sit and look out of the window. I suppose you could make the shelf removable. It's the ideal way to expand the floorspace as the coop is a bit pokey. I wouldn't put a ramp in as it will take up too much space, but if you only put the shelf about 12 to 15 inches high, they should be able to jump on and off safely. Or you could make it a whole floor just on level with the top of the door. have a hole in one corner and put them a lower shelf or stool under the hole so they can hop up on that. Most rabbits are very curious and love sitting up high, so they'd be up there like a shot. Put the hole at the back on line with the door and can just get hold and slide it out of the lift up roof for access to the bottom.

You could line the floors with vinyl flooring and batten the edges so they can't eat it. Makes cleaning out really easy.

I think heightwise the nesting box should be fine as a sleeping area, smaller spaces keep heat in better. As long as they have room to move around a bit.

looking at it, is the bottom of the coop where the run is attached boarded off as it looks bun can escape underneath, you will need to put something there so foxes cannot get in or buns can get out, i would just board it off not wire it to save mess underneath, and wire the you window once made bigger,

ops sorry just read the bit your planning to do,

what type of buns are you going to get? small to medium, do you know where you are getting buns from ? as you have to be very carfull if your getting young ones, you will need to ask how big they will get, otherwise the coop wont be big enough,
does the 4ft in length inclued the nest box?
a door to keep them in a night, would an idea for your own peace of mind as well as the buns,

looks good though

I really like your run but I would worry that the coop it is going to be difficult to clean out easily - I have had a few rabbit hutches and chicken coops and to be honest the ones whose doors open fully seem easiest. I had one with a small door and it was difficult to use. My chickens have a coop similar to yours and even though the lid lifts off I end of jet washing it to get it really clean.

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm if you really like DIY and fancy a project but I keep chickens and have not found the coops to be as well made as hutches or as easy to insulate. Most dont have adequate felt roofs etc and are made from thinner wood but with the interest in chicken keeping at the moment command high prices especially the nice shaped one like yours.

I may be tempted to sell your coop on ebay and with the money made buy a really good sized hutch that will be easy to put a cover over.

Becky

Would putting a shelf in near the window make it a hassle for cleaning out? That way they can sit and look out of the window. I suppose you could make the shelf removable. It's the ideal way to expand the floorspace as the coop is a bit pokey. I wouldn't put a ramp in as it will take up too much space, but if you only put the shelf about 12 to 15 inches high, they should be able to jump on and off safely. Or you could make it a whole floor just on level with the top of the door. have a hole in one corner and put them a lower shelf or stool under the hole so they can hop up on that. Most rabbits are very curious and love sitting up high, so they'd be up there like a shot. Put the hole at the back on line with the door and can just get hold and slide it out of the lift up roof for access to the bottom.

You could line the floors with vinyl flooring and batten the edges so they can't eat it. Makes cleaning out really easy.

I think these are great suggestions, I would also think about extending the coop out over the top of the nesting box by building another box on top of it and cutting a hole in the wall above nesting to gain access to the extenstion, or taking that wall out all together so the top of the nesting box would be like a shelf and build the extension arond that. if all this makes sense......?

Thanks for all your responses - it's given me lots to think about as well some good ideas. I wasn't particularly happy with the nesting box and i was misled somewhat regarding the dimensions.

So, the plan is to ditch the nesting box and make a full size extension (yellow box section on pic below) - that should bring the length to around 5ft - unfortunately that;s the width of the concrete area so I can't make it any
bigger.

I'm going to make a full sized opening "window" (the yellow rectangle to the left) and build a shelf so they can perch themselves up there if they want to. This should give me excellent access for cleaning too (the roof of the run folds out of the way as well)

hutch3.jpg

A couple of more questions present themselves -

how high from the base should the shelf be (2ft?)
any advice as to the material for the extension? (initial thoughts are two layers of exterior ply with some insulating material sandwiched inbetween)

Lastly, I see that Pets At Home now sell some paint for hutches - is that tried/tested/approved?

Thanks again.

about 30 - 40 cm for the shelf
not used the pets at home stuff
I have a hand made hutch at home although would not recomend it's construction (it's basically plywood, tarpaulin, sponge, tarpaulin, sliplap...not made by me, it was dumped by a breeder with a rabbit, we kept it as it was 8ft). I would personally go with a good quality tonge & groove for the outside and MDF/plywood for the inside & a layer of space insulation in between.

Theres lots of different paints you can use for the hutches.
Ive used a variety from Wilkinsons, B&Q, Homebase.
I have in the past used the PAH one, but i didnt like the finish...

Looks good though, espec once you make the changes.

your plan looks great! glad you've found posts helpful. I have not tried the paint either, but as long as it is non-toxic and does not let off fumes that should not be inhaled (which I should imagine being sold for pet housing would be suitable in both these requirements) And is weather proof, so you don't get a bright red bunny for exampe, i don't see why paint should present as a problem to the buns.

Ok, so first modification done. Basically, I've transplanted two doors from another smaller run and they are now the front doors of the hutchcoop. I've left in the small window above the doors.

hutchcoop001.jpg

Tomorrow's job (weather permitting) is to install a shelf above the left door so the bunnies can sit and watch the birds in the garden through the window.

Viewing platform (aka a shelf) now installed. I had to put this about 16in off the base of the hutch so it would clear the doors. I thought this a bit high for a single jump so I've cut a portion out and used the cut-out to make a step.

morehutch1.jpg

morehutch2.jpg

Nearly there.

Back