• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emergencies. Rabbit First Aid Box?

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Just been thinking...yes it hurt :lol:

Do people have like an emergency First aid box for the buns?

If so what do you have in?

With our current numbers and with buns been abit off it i think i could benefit from something like this, but got lost as to where to start.....

:)

We had a set of drawers we keep bits and pieces in. I always have fibreplex and biolapis, syringes, Xeno 450, nail clippers, scissors, snugglepads, hibiscrub, salt, think that's about it. Good question though, will maybe get some more ideas myself.:D

I used to be a VN so I set up a mini clinic for the buns. In my first aid kit I've got:

Tweezers
Surgical scissors
Antisceptic
Savlon cream
Bandages (crepe/tape and latex)
Eyewash
Melolin dressings for open wounds
A wee sachet of flour to staunch excessive bleeding
Cotton pads
Buster Collar
Surgical tape

I also have a medical bag which contains:

Stethoscope
Digital thermometer
Surgical Gloves
Scalpel blades (for skin scrapes)
Microscope (also slides and covers)
Otoscope
Opthalmoscope
Urinalysis Strips
Syringes ranging from 1mm to 50mm
Babywipes
Critical Care Formula
Probiotic powder for water
Maxolon Syrup
Test tubes

My Clinic is just a big walk in cupboard but I also keep a grooming kit (soft brushes, comb, curved blunt edged scissors, sudocreme, baby wipes and vegetable soap) in there,snugglesafes, loads of towels and blankets and all my bunny books.

I used to be a VN so I set up a mini clinic for the buns. In my first aid kit I've got:

Tweezers
Surgical scissors
Antisceptic
Savlon cream
Bandages (crepe/tape and latex)
Eyewash
Melolin dressings for open wounds
A wee sachet of flour to staunch excessive bleeding
Cotton pads
Buster Collar
Surgical tape

I also have a medical bag which contains:

Stethoscope
Digital thermometer
Surgical Gloves
Scalpel blades (for skin scrapes)
Microscope (also slides and covers)
Otoscope
Opthalmoscope
Urinalysis Strips
Syringes ranging from 1mm to 50mm
Babywipes
Critical Care Formula
Probiotic powder for water
Maxolon Syrup
Test tubes

My Clinic is just a big walk in cupboard but I also keep a grooming kit (soft brushes, comb, curved blunt edged scissors, sudocreme, baby wipes and vegetable soap) in there,snugglesafes, loads of towels and blankets and all my bunny books.

I know this would be a job and a half but could do describe what all those things are and what they're used for...I've never heard of some of them so would be great to know what they'd come in useful for :oops:

Two different types of probiotic
teatree cream
recovery
syringes
scissors
sudacrem
nail clippers
bandages
sterile cotton wool

Mine has certainly come in handy

:lol: Clutterydrawer, I hope this helps. I took out the obvious stuff.

1. Tweezers===metal instrument fashioned like a pointed pincer, good for picking up tiny things like fine hairs.
  2. Surgical scissors=== Curved and blunt edged silver scissors for cutting tubes, hair, saline bags etc.
  3. Melolin dressings for open wounds=== These are square shaped dressings and they consist of wadding type stuff covered with a clear film. Its designed so that burns or pussy wounds don't stick to the dressing, as you can imagine it would be painful to remove otherwise.
  4. Buster Collar=== Like the elizebethan collar you get for dogs toprevent them biting at wounds or stitches.
  5. Surgical tape=== A softer and less sticky version of sellotape, usually white and can be used to tape on bandages or dressings.
  6. I also have a medical bag which contains:
  7. Otoscope === This instruemnt allows you to look in a patient's ear. It looks like a pointed snout on a metal stem and it shines a light down the snout into the ear, illuminating the ear canal.
  8. Opthalmoscope=== This basically looks like a metal lollipop. The stem supports an almost flat circle and this circle has a wee lens and light. You look through the lens and the light is shone onto a patient's eye. It can show up defects or marks on the lens of an eye, obscure colouring in the eye and blindness.
  9. Urinalysis Strips=== These strips have wee coloured squares on them and when exposed to urine they will change colour. The strips allow you to test for pH, diabetes, protein, kidney problems and even cancer.
  10. Test tubes=== I use them to keep fluids in like rabbit pee:oops: (easy to dip a strip in).

Oh I nearly forgot, the otoscope can also be used to look inside a rabbits mouth all the way to the back teeth, so I can see if a malocclusion is occuring or not.

Most of this stuff is for emergency wounds but the medical gear is good becuase I do monthly health checks, so I can monitor changes in their health and catch illnesses much quicker.

Mine's a bit thin on the ground. I live 3 miles from my vet & they are open 7 days with an on call vet so I would always go straight to them.

I have some wound powder, ivometic & biolapin, & some sterile cloths.And some flea shampoo. I also keep syringes, baytril & metacam in, but only use these on discussion with vet first.:D

Back