• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit teeth problems!! NEED HELP URGENTLY!!! U/D she seems better now

FudgeMallow

Mama Doe
Hi I need help. Long story short my bunny Fudge has teeth problems where her back teeth over grow and end up cutting her tounge (because she dont eat much hay)

Anyway this happened once in july and got her teeth filed down and i had to change her diet and reduce her pellets. Now she has stopped eating and is grinding her teeth and sitting hunched in a corner like the last time.

It has only just happened as she was fine at about 6 and just after 8 she had changed.

Is there anything i can do to help her feel more comfortable untill the morning when i can take her to the vets??

Please help i dont want her to be in pain! it makes me so upset!!

HELP!!!! THanks so much for any help:cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Aww poor bunny. Gregory is just the same. Guessing you don't have any pain relief? Not sure what else you can do, but ask the vet for soem Metacam when you go then you have it for next time!

Sure someone will know something you could try. Does she have some water available?

she has a bottle and a bowl and i have given her fresh veg but she just turns her nose up at anything i try. She must be in pain!

I would give your Vets emergency number a call now.
If your Bun is hunched up and grinding her teeth that indicates she is in considerable pain. It may be her tummy that is hurting rather than her mouth.
I really would not wait til the morning as a Bun in pain can deteriorate rapidly.

Please let us know how you get on.

Well i have just attatched her run onto her cage to see where she finds most comfey and have chopped up tiny pieces of carrot and broccoli and she has munched a little bit and drunk a little out her water bowl. I am going to stay up with her to make sure she is fine! I dont want to have to call emergency as its almost £100 just for the call out.

If she gets worse i will call deffo, so i will keep my phone with me. If she is fine during the night i will take her to the vet first thing and i will ask for metacam just incase this happens again! can he just prescribe the metacam for the next time, i have never asked?

Thanks for the replies :wave: xx

most emergency vet doesn't know how to handle rabbits. I have the same problem, in the end, they don't know how to deal with it.

I have the above identical problem. My bridge bun Goofball won't eat hay, so her teeth grows at an angle, cut her tongue, some blood came out. In the end, after a no. of hr., the blood stopped, and the experience vet didn't have to do anything on that aspect, and do the teeth surgery the next day.

It seems serious, but a bit of blood at the tongue is not the end of the world. If you have metacam, give your bun a small amt. to get thru tomorrow.

The dosage is:

dosage (in ml) = weight (in KG) x 0.1 / 1.5

So for e.g. if your bun weighs 2 KG

dosage (in ml) = 2 kg x 0.1 /1.5 =0.13 ml

I had the same problem last week. Make sure you keep her warm. I gave my rabbit lots of cuddles which seemed to comfort him a little until he was feeling better again (he does like cuddles though).

I now have metacam in as an emergency for occasions like this as it would have been useless for me to take him to the emergency vet.

I hope she will be OK but you do need to get her there asap tomorrow.

Hey just to update wasnt her teeth, I set up her run and sat in with her and she cuddled upto me. After about half an hour she hopped away and left mucusy poo on my pillow.

She has eaten all her food and veg and had a little more to drink. She should be fine but will still go to vet first thing get her checked over and make sure her teeth are fine.

I am going to order the sample pack of hay from the hay experts to see if she likes any, i was just wondering how long the delivery normally takes?

Thanks again xxx

So glad she is feeling better, these bunnies are sent to try us. :roll:

Hay Experts normally deliver in a couple of days. Here are some tips to try to get your bunny to eat more hay (never worked with mine :roll:) but worth a try. The tips were sent to me from Oxbow:

Take his favorite treat, hide it in the hay and make him forage around to get to it.

* If he gets any veggies (which not all rabbits do), mix hay in with them, hay will stick to the moist veggies and he may grow to like the hay.

* If he likes (or gets any) baby carrots, you can shred a baby carrot and mix it in with the hay, the carrot will also stick to the hay.

* You can also mist the hay with a diluted fruit juice (if he likes a certain flavor) which may entice him to eat it.

* Also, put hay everywhere that he frequents; make it so he can't get away from it.

* Rabbits also like to eat hay in their litter box; most rabbits will only use one side of the litter box for waste.
Place the hay in "clean" side. There is no need for concern about him eating soiled hay, he will just pick around it.

Well i woke up this morning to let her out as usual and she was completely fine, hopping about and giving me kisses as usual.:love:

Took her to vet and he said she had eaten something that had upset her tummy (Prob to much curly kale as i am just introducing this to her diet) checked her teeth he said they have grown a bit since she had them filed and to keep trying to get her to eat hay and give her a selection of veg.

So everything ok for now:D. I will deffo try anything and everything to get her to eat hay. She has her hay rack hanging over her litter tray and that seems to help a little and she has a box of hay as well. Just wish she was like the rest of my bunnies, they love hay!!

She used to get fresh herbs everyday but i stopped giving them everyday as i didnt know if she could have they everyday. And since i stopped giving them everyday thats when she needed her teeth filed, Is it ok to give herbs everyday and do herbs help keep back teeth short??

Thanks for all the help much appreciated xxx:wave::D

Back