• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

babies

Radish

Mama Doe
Peggy the pig came from pets at home....she came with secret passengers(at least secret until she looked fat and her sides moved)..

Peggys secret passengers...two baby boys...

PB230102.jpg

PB230106.jpg

PB230110.jpg

PB230112.jpg

How disgraceful a pet shop who claim to put animal welfare first sell a guinea pig who gives birth at a mere 16 weeks! Utterly disgusting and why I never set foot in there.

They are lovely guinea pigs though :love: At least it was only a small litter.

it may not be pets at home that's at fault on this occasion, i have a feeling this pig was pregnant before even pets at home got her in which case they would have had no idea she was pregnant.

luckily having bred guineas for years i knew what to do for mum to have her in the best condition as possible even given her tender age, i also had several; vets on hand had she needed them.

for me the sad part is firstly that Peggy was pregnant so young but also that potentially she could have ended up in the hands of someone who didn't know what to look out for and where she could have died if not fit enough or big enough to give birth.

it's bit deceiving the picture of her, it doesn't show clearly what a dinky little pig she is.

edited to add... the two boys have a forever home with me now and if there had been more babies they would all have stayed too:love:

Last edited:
It doesn't say much for their stock providers though does it :shock: Glad she's with you now.

omg they are the most gorgeous g.pigs i have ever seen. I had 3 g.pigs a few years ago, one died of a heart attack they reckon at the age of 5 and i have no idea how the other one died at the age of 3. I was then left with one, it wasnt the right time to get another g.pig and my brothers wife already had 2 females so she took her on. Would love them again though, they are just great :D

yeah i must admit i love guineas, they are quite comical and i love how they wheek! when i'm preparing veg or they hear a bag russle and they all rush to the bars of their cages.

i have fourteen pigs at the moment,six which are three pairs of adult girls which i've had a year or so and they were only ever going to be pets and not bred from.

then i have Peggy and Hazel another pair, i plan to have a litter from Hazel(she will be paired up with a boy at the end of December.

I also have Muffin and Bran who are currently residing with Harley the beautiful boy( Bran is pregnant at the moment, i've just felt the first movement of babies tonight).

finally i have Frosty and Pud who are residing with Norton a very cheeky boy, I think Pud may be pregnant too although i can't feel babies yet.

Hazel
PA150071.jpg

Harley,Bran and Muffin
PA150080.jpg

willow (one of my older girls)
PA150093.jpg

it may not be pets at home that's at fault on this occasion, i have a feeling this pig was pregnant before even pets at home got her in which case they would have had no idea she was pregnant.
Surely any establishment that sells livestock has a duty of care to the animals to make sure that they're in good health/ condition prior to sale? Do they not have a settling down period when they can ensure they're OK including not being pregnant?

In this case, it would appear though that these piggies have landed on their paws with you but the outcome could have been so very different.

I've never had baby pigs myself but a friend had some and I just loved the way they sort of came out running! Fully formed, furry and ready to run and squeak just really small! so cute!

Being only used to bunnies I still can't quite get over the little perfect key fog mini-me's that guinea pigs give birth to!! :oops: They're just gorgeous!! :love:

Surely any establishment that sells livestock has a duty of care to the animals to make sure that they're in good health/ condition prior to sale? Do they not have a settling down period when they can ensure they're OK including not being pregnant?

In this case, it would appear though that these piggies have landed on their paws with you but the outcome could have been so very different.

since guineas are pregnant for 59 to 72 days and you can only feel the babies moving after five weeks of pregnancy, pets at home would have absolutely no way of knowing the pig was pregnant. as experienced as i am, i missed the fact for a while too, i just thought she was getting plump four weeks into owning her.:lol:

Being only used to bunnies I still can't quite get over the little perfect key fog mini-me's that guinea pigs give birth to!! :oops: They're just gorgeous!! :love:

i still get a big cheesy grin whenever i think about baby guineas, they are such little dots and so full of mischief. they are altready skipping about and they are eating veg and hay etc.

since guineas are pregnant for 59 to 72 days and you can only feel the babies moving after five weeks of pregnancy, pets at home would have absolutely no way of knowing the pig was pregnant. as experienced as i am, i missed the fact for a while too, i just thought she was getting plump four weeks into owning her.:lol:
Blimey.. I didn't realise their gestation period was so long :shock:.

Blimey.. I didn't realise their gestation period was so long :shock:.

yeah it has to be for the babies to be fully furred and running about within minutes of birth. the mummy pigs get seriously fat and you can hear the babies teeth grinding a few days before they are born:shock::lol:

Back