• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice on neutering

Lil_Luci

Mama Doe
Gizmo has been booked in to be neutered on December 22nd at 8am, but now i've booked him in, I have no idea what i need to know! Its £55, including anesthetic, and they said he'll be given an injection of painkillers before i pick him up, and that they'll answer any questions i have before hand, but i have no idea what i'm supposed to ask! I know he'll need painkillers for a few days, but how long normally? i dont know if it makes a difference, but his plums are huuuuge! I know he isnt allowed to jump, so will have cage rest for the first few days, but again, i don't know how long that should be for either! What else do i need to ask about? Am really worried about my little baby! :(

On the plus side, on the walk to the pub last night with my boyfriend and his friend, we were talking about what we were getting for xmas, and i said i was getting a printer from mum, and dad was paying for giz to be done. my OH was very disappointed that they are "boring" presents, and said he will get me something exciting :) So messing around I said, I'd love a baby girl bun for giz, and he said he'd been thinking about it for a while, but then learnt through listening to me that he cant just choose one, (nice to know he pays attention sometimes!!) and that i might notice is giz vanished for a few days to go bonding! so after xmas, and after we've waited for giz's hormones to go,(how long does this normally take?) we're going to be touring rescue centres to find us a wifey :D:D am soooo happy! I thought he would take persuading that giz needed a wife, yet he came up with it all himself!

Castration is a relatively straightforward op.
He should be given adequate analgesia for the first 24 hours, usually that is enough. The scrotum may be swollen for a few days but should not be hot. Many Vets close the surgical wound with disolvable sutures and/or glue. Hopefully good analgesia will mean Bun leaves the area alone

Bun should be eating, pooing and weeing within 12 hours of the op. If he is an outdoor Bun he will need to be indoors in a room without central heating the night after the op. Offering water from a bowl rather than a bottle is a good idea after a GA. Some of Buns favorite foods should get him eating.
I allow my Bucks to return to normal exercise 3 days after castration.

It will take a few weeks for his hormones to calm down

:)

Last edited:
Bed him on towels and newspaper as hay/straw will irritate his wound. Give him hay to eat in a hay rack or toilet roll cardboard tube.

Dandelions usually work when trying to tempt a bun to eat.

I am sure a wifey bun will make it worth it in the end little man :D

Rabswood

Back