• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you start a bunny boarding business?

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

I need some money coming in, and I was wondering about bunny boarding. What do I need to know? How much money do you make roughly? How many hutches would I need? etc

I don't think you can make any money from bunny boarding. You need to invest a lot into decent hutches, and then you can't really charge too much, otherwise people won't be able to afford it. You'd also need a good reputation, like a recommendation from a rescue.
You need a lot of space, and keep the boarders away from your own bunnies, in case they have something contagious. Some people might not like it if your dog gets near their bunnies. And you may just get guests during school holidays, and not on a regular basis all year round.

Everybody runs their bunny boarding differently as alot ask the owners to take the rabbits own food where as I provide everything. I don't really make anything as it always goes back in to the rabbits. One thing I will say is get Boarding insurance for the bunnies whilst they are in your care, I have mine with petplan:D

id thought of this a year or so ago but soon realised it wouldnt be a money making business that would allow me to stop mt p/t job and work from home but space insurance supplies vet for emergencies reputation how to market your business -and thats before any customers!!
good luck

I've never done Bunny Boarding, but I'd start off with looking into the competition. Would be a good exercise to work out what it would cost to set it up, and what you think you could make etc.. number of hutches would be based on what space and time you have.

It is a lot of responsibility to start this kind of business & the tax man might want to get involved somewhere along the line etc.

Hannah

I paid £6 a night for a nearly 7ftx3ft when Ronnie stayed in boarding... she provided everything, food, hay, veggies... she even called my mobile to let me know how he was :) So going by that i'd say you wouldnt make much money :( xXx

well it takes you a long time to make money....i have been doing mine 18 months and tbh its only now, that 90% of what i 'make' comes to me.

All my hutches cost £100 for a stack of three 6 x 2 x 2, which is cheap, that was when my dad made them, so materials only.

and then theres the runs, all my runs are zooplus metal 7 x 3's and i have four of those, theres £200 gone easily.

So you need to have money first, then wait to break even, and then earn money, now, its a good income for us, but i spent well over £600 over the past 18 months bcus initially i didnt have the big triple hutches, i had single 5 foot ones so i have got better ones, so i suppose if you starte doff witht he best initially...then u wudnt spend as much as i did.

But you definatly 'lose' money before you make it with bunny boarding.

we also provide hay and straw, which to be honest doesnt cost me the earth because i buy it in a HUGE bale for £4 a time, which lasted when i was busiest and had 16 rabbits a day, 2 weeks which was a long time for that ammount.

A bale lasts my four four months usually! and they get alot, these bales r huge.

But the veggies is the main cost, i try to get reduced vegand to grow our own but when its out of season and none of cheap you do have to buy regular veggies at say 70p each, multiply that its alot more.

I also make sure i update our tunnels, tents, igloos etc and hay toys frequently as i like to keep the bunnies entertained!

I used to charge £3 per night, but £5 for a pair so u save £1. after new year it will be £3.50 a night, and £6 a pair purely bcus of everything else increasing.

sorry for the ramble lol

You can make money with a bunny boarding business, but it does depend how you do it and you wont make it initially because of the set up costs. It has cost us several thousand pounds to set ours up and we've just ordered another 8 new hutches at over £1000. You will need a good local rabbit savvy vet plus knowledge of what to do in an emergency, a good first aid kit, good admin skills and also you will need to register with the tax office.

We provide all food (so you need a supply of the major foods and be able to source others at short notice), good quality hay, veg, herbs etc. You'll also need good pet safe disinfectants, bedding, toys, pet carriers, runs and oodles of patience and teh ability to not get much sleep. You'll also have to be prepared to deal with difficult customers as well as feisty buns and everything that goes along with taking good care of a small pet - washing dirty bums, clipping claws, grooming, giving medication which may include injecting on a regular basis.

You also need good insurance, somewhere to advertise, Terms and Conditions, and a CRB check is advisable too. Also think how you would deal with it if an animal was to be taken ill or die whilst in your care.

It is incredibly hard work and a huge responsibility, but is also very rewarding.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead and feel free to pm me if there is anything else you'd like to know

yeah it tuck me two years to build up my business to get my regular customers but the worse thing i faced was loosing a guinea pig in my stay i was sobbing at the vets whilst it was slowly going to piggy heaven :( i got really attach to him too. i found that very hard!!

Back