• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tooth removal surgery on thursday, advice?

Banni Binky

Warren Scout
Tila is having his incisor teeth removed this thursday due to his Osteomyelitis, and on the same day is beginning antibiotic treatment, with all hopes of success. I know the vet will give me care instructions specific to the wound healing and such, but is there anything anybody can tell me (apart from chopping his veges smaller :lol: already doing that due to sore teeth) that will help me care for him better after the teeth are gone, during and after healing?

Eg, will he need extra help grooming? I already brush him as although his fur is short, it is wonderfully soft and he seems to be an endlessly malting mass of fluff :roll:

No real advice - I haven't had any problems in the last few weeks since Gregory had his incisors removed! Loads of vibes though - don't worry! x

Blackie had his incisors removed in july and the night after his op he scoffed all his veggies (some chopped, some grated) and pellets.

He does well eating and needs some help grooming, but all in all does well without his teeth. He was his normal self in about 2 weeks when his gums healed.

Dont stress about it, its for the best and he will love u all the same. When u get him back he may have blood around his mouth but he will be fine. Give him lots of love and attention and he will be fine.

Lots of vibes getting sent his way from me and the bunnies xx

My bun Molly had her incissors out the start of the year, and sadly the bottom one has grown back so she wil prob need another op. I found her peg teeth (little ones behind the top incissors) also grow back, but are so fine that they also snap and so the cycle goes on. She loves it cos she can try and have a nibble on my fingers when im having a look in her mouth :lol:

Molly was pretty much back to normal within 24 hours.. I got in all her fav treats to entice her to eat, and also put a bowl or water down to make it easier for her to drink - cant imagine a bottle woudl have been comfortable.

She had pain killers after the op to help with discomfort, and I administered antibiotics for 7 days with an injection - they showed me how to do it at the vets, also I knew Molly would resist a syringe and I didnt want to bang her gums or risk her not getting the medicine she needed. Also a bit easier on her tummy having 7 days of them.

For 2 weeks I bathed her gums twice daily with tepid salted water to help the healing and stop infection. All on advice from the vet. This was tricky as she is feisty! But it had to be done. It also gave me a chance to monitor the healing and check no absesses came up form infection. The sooner you notice anything like this the better, but with antibiotics this shouldnt be a problem. Molly did get a small one which was drained and healed just fine.

Its worrying when they have an op, and I am dreading Molly going in again but they do cope just fine without the incissors. Molly has her salad chopped but eats her normal hay just fine and surprised me the other day by stealing a whole segment of terrys choc orange from the box and ran away with it!! :lol: Fortunately without the incissors she couldnt get it into her mouth so I had time to rescue it!

Good luck for the op, sure it'll all be just fine, it is for the best for them, better than uncomfortable overgrown teeth.
Bunny hugs to yours from mine :D

Back