• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried About Toffee U/D BEEN TO VETS

*Spider*

Wise Old Thumper
I've bought the buns in for a play in the front room and Toffee's bones seem to be sticking out of his back. He has a nice plump tummy but the bones are worrying me abit.
Ghostie was a starved rabbit and has a nice layer of fat on her bones, but Toffee doesn't really :?
He seems happy, healthy, eating, pooing but i think he may have lost a little weight.

Ghostie weighs:
4lbs 3

Toffee Weighs:
3lb 13

He has deffintely lost weight :( :(
I remember weighing him when Ghostie was dreadfully thin and he weighed nearly 5lbs :?

Please help me, i'm so so worried. He's 7 years old :cry:

Last edited:
ok dont panic too much do you maybe mean 3kg? as 3lbs is very very tiny i think(tho i could be wrong) think 1 bag of sugar =1kg adn eqaute it so 3lbs is tiny tiny... if he really is 3lbs i woudl see a vet immediatly if he is 3kg then i think that is a decent weight tho it depends on the breed... you could try getting him checked for teeth problems.. .pannacur to rule out worms... and feed him porridge oats in warm water to bring his wieght up good luck xx

It's probably age related. It may be worth having a FBP run on him to check his liver & kidney function and look for any blood abnormalities. Has his appetite changed at all?

Has he had a recent dental check?
Is he drinking or urinating more?

They are small breeds.
He's a Lionhead X
Ohh noo i'm ultra worried now :(
I never knew they were small breeds until i saw the rescue buns and they are HUGE compared to my two.
Toffee is due for a myxi jab so will ask him there.
And yeah, it is pounds (just weighed them on my kitch scales)
Vets have always said Toffee's weight has been 'ideal'
They get tons of exercise too living in very large accomodation.
Do you think his ageing may be to do with his weight loss? He's only 7 though :?

They are small breeds.
He's a Lionhead X
Ohh noo i'm ultra worried now :(
I never knew they were small breeds until i saw the rescue buns and they are HUGE compared to my two.
Toffee is due for a myxi jab so will ask him there.
And yeah, it is pounds (just weighed them on my kitch scales)
Vets have always said Toffee's weight has been 'ideal'
They get tons of exercise too living in very large accomodation.
Do you think his ageing may be to do with his weight loss? He's only 7 though :?

Generally they start to show signs of age around 5/6 in my experience. The oldest any of my bunnies have lived is 8.

I know we say on here they can live 10+ years but I would say that is not the norm and 7-8 is probably more average. I would personally consider a 7 year old bunny an OAP.

its ok not trying to worry you... looking at your sig one of your buns is a lionhead and they are renowned as being small breeds i prob just have bigger buns thats all. go by what vet has said is ideal for them and try to keep them at it main thing is if worried to get to vets for a check up even just to put mind at rest.. yup i say anythign over 6yrs really is getting oap xx

Generally they start to show signs of age around 5/6 in my experience. The oldest any of my bunnies have lived is 8.

I know we say on here they can live 10+ years but I would say that is not the norm and 7-8 is probably more average. I would personally consider a 7 year old bunny an OAP.
Ohh pooor Toffee, i have searched the cupboard and have found some:
Organic Oats.
Can you make porridge out of this? Will this be suitable for him?

its ok not trying to worry you... looking at your sig one of your buns is a lionhead and they are renowned as being small breeds i prob just have bigger buns thats all. go by what vet has said is ideal for them and try to keep them at it main thing is if worried to get to vets for a check up even just to put mind at rest.. yup i say anythign over 6yrs really is getting oap xx
Yep Toffee is the crazy haired Lionhead (possibly cross)
He is smaller than Gho who is a mongrel, but she's a small breed too.

Organic Oats.

yes but do it with warm water and not milk and dont give too much some buns dont like it as well so dont panic if he doesnt want it! be aware as with any food you are changing thier diet and add it as a supplement slowly...x

Organic Oats.

Are they pure oats?
Mix them with hot water and leave to cool, make sure they are well soaked.
Only let him have a little for a couple of days to make sure he dosn't react badly to them.

I still think he should see a vet for at least a dental check though...there is no point treating the symptoms if you don't know the cause.

Are they pure oats?
Mix them with hot water and leave to cool, make sure they are well soaked.
Only let him have a little for a couple of days to make sure he dosn't react badly to them.

I still think he should see a vet for at least a dental check though...there is no point treating the symptoms if you don't know the cause.

Yes, they are pure.
They always check him over at the vets so will voice my concerns at the next visit.
Will call them up to see if they will see him this evening.

Good Luck :)

Thank you, just seems to be going wrong for me recently.
He's being his norty little self, digging at the cushions :no:
Looking at these two together, Ghostie is actually alot larger than Toffee :?

I'd book him in to see Vet.

Going through something similar with Bella at present. My Vet neglected to check her teeth and this appears to be part of the problem (not saying its same for you) Weight dropped off her within weeks, she has been really poorly but is hopefully fighting back :)

Im taking my French Lop in today to get her weighed as i feel she is loosing weight too.

It never rains always pours here at the min! :(

Hugs to you huni, your having a hard time lately! :)

ETA - i gave bella Porridge and Bannana and also grated carrot so it was easier for her to eat :) Bella was on critical care for a week in which she had 6meals a day. She now has to have constant food and hay!

U/D

Toffee is now booked in at the vets this evening at 4:45.
Thanks for all your help guys.
I never really knew i had such small breed of rabbits :p

U/D

The VERY HOT vet (yum) said that Toffee has lost 400g.
I picked him up (asked him to clip nails) and his stools were miniscule, so he's given me some fiberflex (sp?) And has told me to give him some porridge and up his grass, veg, hay and pellet intake. He saw nothing wrong with his teeth and wasn't worried about the weightloss in general.
He'll be re-weighed in a month's time to see if he's put on weight, on if not further action will be taken.
Thanks for your help guys :wave:

Back