• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent need opinions quickly/ She's gone

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I know only we can make this decision but we are finding it so hard that opinions would be appreciated.

Ethel the bunny with cancer is booked in to be pts at 11 this morning. She has been down most of the weekend, not eating or pooing and not wanting to come out of her cage. Even though she had a few hours of brightness yesterday she still didn't come out of her cage.

We booked her in first thing this morning as don't want to see her suffer. But since doing that, she has eaten all her food been running around the lounge, had some branflakes from my breakfast bowl and demanded nose rubs. Now I am thinking she shouldn't go to the vets but Steve still wants her to go.
The only thing I am concerned about is she is NOT pooing just passing a clear jelly mucus. I know this isn't right and she may collapse again by the end of the day.

But putting her in a carrier for the vets when she is running around and demanding nose rubs doesn't seem right.:?

Last edited:
Maybe one more day?

You know your bun, & her illness so whatever decision you make will be the right one. I'd hate to be in that position. :cry:

Oh no, this must be so hard.
Only you would knw your bunny, but by what you've said, personally i'd call the vets and ask if she can just have a checkup as she has really perked up, let the vets decide it she will be PTS, and if they do decide, don't do it today.

aw gosh what a horrible decision, think you need to decide whats best for her. i sure whatever decision you make will be in her best interests. thinking bout you's.

If she was pooing ok as well we definately would not be taking her today.

I am concerned that all she is passing is a clear jelly substance.

Maybe that just means her gut is irritated or she is stressed? Could you maybe fibreplex her and see if that helps?

Look in her eyes, what do you think she wants? If you look in her eyes and listen to what you see there, you will do the right thing, whatever that will be :)

I think Spider has a good point take her to the vets and see what they say good luck it must be horrid for you

If you are in any doubt do not do somethin gyou can't undo.

Have the vet visit but use it to see what the vet thinks.

I know how hard it is to keep saying one more day...

I always find my vets are very helpful at helping me decide what is right and what isn't....obviously the mucus indicates some kind of gut infection/irritation so should warrant a check-up in it's own right.

I would personally take her and ask your vets opinion on the matter, as someone with an unbiased perspective who can also see her in the flesh.

I have been suprised how many bunnies I have taken expecting the worst and been given hope for.

Personally, i think humans and animals, rise before the big grand fall. Maybe book her in, in 2 days time if shes brighter today and see how it goes :)

I think Spider has a good point take her to the vets and see what they say good luck it must be horrid for you

I'm sure the vet will want to PTS as that is what they wanted to do 2 weeks ago when we first got her and took her for a check up. But we said we wanted to give her a bit more time, and that was definately the right thing to do, as she has been really happy.

we have always been of the opinion it is aways better to pts a day to early than a day too late. A lot of our bunnies have suffered so much before they come to us we are determined not to let them suffer when the end comes for them, it is the least they deserve. However putting that into practice is not so easy.

Last edited:
Honesty if it were me Liz, i would have to give her the chance, as the high could last a week, or it could last an hour, I wouldn't be able to live with the *what if* I'd just feel guilty, in case she just wasn't ready yet, but at the same time I totally understand that she is only going to get worse, and there is nothing you can do to help her long term, you have given her so much, and if you decide to send her now while she is happy, maybe it will mean she will head to the bridge happy, and free. She would never blame you, if anything she would thank you, for letting her go before she got to ill. Make the choice you can live with for the rest of your life, because doing something your not sure about means that you could spend the next year regretting it, which is not good. Deciding not to take her, is a choice that can change in an hour, 2 hours, a day 2 days, if things change. Taking her now is forever, and that's okay so long as it won't tear you apart.

Hugs to you and steve - I know you will make the right choice, you always always do. You always put your bunny's first and give them happiness and love!!

xxxx

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Edith and I just had a little chat and she basically told me she had had enough and wanted to go. She had taken herself back into her cage and was hunched up. I offered her a treat that she had eaten earlier and she didn't want it.

Steve has taken her as I am heartbroken, she is so special. I can't believe how attached I have become to her in just 2 weeks. Steve will stay with her til the end.

Steve and I both decided that her liitle burst of energy this morning and demand for head rubs was her way of saying good bye and thank you. At least we have that happy memory now

Last edited:
I'm too late with my reply, but I have to say that I'm sure you're doing the right thing. The decisions I had to make with both Clover and Dusty weren't at all straightforward, and I was changing my mind every 5 minutes on both occasions. Sounds like she told you all you needed to know. :(

Thinking of you. xxx

Back