• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

when do you know it's time? help bonding girl buns

Ted an Petal

Warren Veteran
well i'm thinking of bonding ted an petal over christmas. petal seems to have calmed down a bit now when she smells ted on me. but i'm just so scared of them getting hurt. i need to know what i'm going to do will be okay.

option 1: so i've gotten two teddy's which will be going into their hutches tonight, after a week i was gonna swap the teddy's around and see how they react to each others smells. then the week i was off i was gonna put them in the car and go for a drive then bring them back and put them in the kitchen to see how they'd get on.

Option 2: use the teddy's then get a second dog crate and move them inside so their get used to the sight of each other as it's not possible outside in the shed. then after a week of getting used to each other do a car ride and move them to the kitchen etc.

Option 3: get a nutured male bun in the hope he might keep the peace between them (this won't be easy as my rescue centre doesn't have very many buns and he would need to be the same age as mine two).

thing with doing it over christmas is that i'll be at home to keep an eye on them. or else it'll have to wait till i get their playhouse, which they won't be getting if they don't get along. my head is pickled. i can't leave them anywhere to get them done as the rescue centre is 50 miles away from me.

Last edited:
Hello Ted and Petal

Sorry I can't help,I have 2 boys (still have the odd days when they fall out:(:()

From what I've read, 2 females are the hardest to bond, but don't quote me on that!!!:oops::oops::oops:

It is very stressful, but well worth it if it works.

Sendng good bonding vibes to you and the girls..

aw it's a nightmare like, ted was meant to be a boy but in the end was a girl, petal has already put ted into the vets so i had to seperate them. their both spayed now. aw i'm just so scared for ted. hoping the teddy thing will do the trick for petal. thanks jessica rabbit.

No problem - I'm not really any help - just read any of my post lately about my 2!!

When they're good, they're very very good - but as they say "when they are bad, they are horrid!"

Eric and Ernie had a fight on Saturday:evil::evil: which resulted in Eric having a very badly cut ear :(- next minute Ernies there giving it a good lick better!!!:love::love::love:

Puts me into stress mode for a few days, and then it's all calm again

Pesky Wabbits!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Good luck and just make sure you keep the bonding area small to start with and neutralise everything (But I'm sure you know that anyway)

Well, I think you should use your instincts as every bond will be different, don't give up too easily and keep them together as long as possible provided no real attacking is going on. You can expect some fur flying, nipping and mounting now and again for the first few days but should gradually calm, it may be hard to watch but is completely normal. Try not to touch them when their bonding. If you think it's getting nasty then use a broom to seperate (I used a colander at short notice). Don't use litter trays too early, I found it started off another dominance dance. Although it may take a few days, plan for a week in a neutral area.

Most of all stay calm and remember you have control - if something doesn't work change it. Keep an eye on them until you feel that they are trusted not to harm each other, I slept near them for the first couple nights but often went downstairs within earshot in the day.

You are only going to steer them in the right direction you can't make them be friends.

Car journey at first is a fab idea :)

My two had some scuffles some mounting, nipping etc but now seem quite content with each other :) they've been bonded for 3 days now, think the mounting has calmed and are grooming :love:

I would have a lookie at other rabbit bonding advice websites and find out what works best for you x

It's definately possible with girls, Jess and Shadow used to hate each other but they get on pretty well now - I often see them sat together - but in my group it is the girls who have their mardy moments and argue over who's who whereas the boys just roll their eyes and get on with it.

Personally I'm an all in and go for it type of bonder but the side by side thing has worked well for other people. I'd try the girls together before getting another rabbit as you never know if that is going to work either and you could end up with three seperate rabbits.

thanks everyone for your posts. thing that worries me is when i tried bonding them before and their where great getting on really well no nipping or fur flying just humping but after two weeks ted got bitten really badly. i'll try them together again as you say before getting another bunny. it's so worrying. i put the teddies in with them last night and only ted seems to have taken notice of hers, petals was still in the same place as i'd left it. as long as ted gets her smell over the bunny thats all i need. thanks everyone again. will try not to post till i'm actually going to do it. :wave:

Back