• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pls help i am new at this

shpink

New Kit
hi my rabbit munch is roughly 10 months old and i think she is pregnant.
the problem is that she hasnt been drinking for a couple of days. is this normal for pregnant does or do i need to take her to the vet?
she is still eating both fresh and dry food.
i just dunno what to do ::?
any help would be much appreciated

We need a little more information:D
What makes you think she is pregnant? She is obviously not spayed, has she been near a buck?

yes she was with her brother ( i thought he was female) but he died 27th last month. last week(ish) i noticed something move on the right side of her tummy. she had been taking more bedding into her bed area earlier.
if my calculations are correct and she is pregnant then she should have the kits by the 27th.
i just hope she is ok i dont want to loose another:cry:

I'm sorry you lost her brother. Yes chances are she is pregnant. What makes you think she is not drinking? Does she have a bottle? If so have you checked it is not blocked? First thing I would do is give her a bowl for water just in case she has any teeth issues that are preventing her using a bottle. I would also take her for a check up at the vets to be on the safe side. x

Last edited:
yes its a bottle she uses, i even offered it to her mouth earlier but she just pushed it away. will put a bowl down now to see if she drinks from that. her teeth look ok (to the untrained eye) i had a good look when she yawned a while ago.
i'm guessing now that she shouldnt be off the drink then even if shes ready to drop? :?

I'm not sure but I think she would still be drinking. When I was looking after a pregnant rescue bun I didn't notice her drinking any less...but she had a bowl so harder to tell.

If you gently pinch the scruff of her neck does the skin 'snap back' or remain pinched? If it remains pinched then she is dehydrated and you need to get her to a vet as soon as possible.

I would normally say syringe her some water but if she is about to give birth then you should not stress her out.

If she is eating greens she will get some water from that, do you have any celery you can give her?

I would take her to the vet for a check up tomorrow and ask them to have a good look at her teeth - its very difficult to tell without the right equipment. If on the other hand she is showing signs of de-hydration as mentioned above she should go to the vet tonight.

I hope she is ok x

Edit.... if she is showing signs of giving birth imminently don't take her to the vet, but call them for advice.

Signs she is about to give birth are ... she will have built a nest, have plucked her fur, will not want to be touched, may be off her food.

Last edited:
If you gently pinch the scruff of her neck does the skin 'snap back' or remain pinched? If it remains pinched then she is dehydrated and you need to get her to a vet as soon as possible.

it fell back ok thank god. problem is my 6 yr old boy wont be at school tomorrow as he is ill. i just hope either she drinks from the dish or that i can get a sitter.
kids get ill at the wrong time every time lol

I would offer a water bottle and a water bowl.
You cant make her drink so plenty of fresh veg (only if she used to it) maybe try abit of grass?

If theres the chance she may be pregnant which it sounds like there is, offer her plenty of bedding, lots of hay and make sure she is warm and free from draughts.

I guess you will find out soon..Best of luck :)

Has she pulled fur out yet? Also if she does give birth you must remember not to touch the nest!!!

:wave:

I would offer a water bottle and a water bowl.
You cant make her drink so plenty of fresh veg (only if she used to it) maybe try abit of grass?

If theres the chance she may be pregnant which it sounds like there is, offer her plenty of bedding, lots of hay and make sure she is warm and free from draughts.

I guess you will find out soon..Best of luck :)

Has she pulled fur out yet? Also if she does give birth you must remember not to touch the nest!!!

:wave:

she now has both water bottle and bowl. she does have a lot of veg and grass. she is kept indoors so is nice and snug. maybe i am just worrying for nothing...
anyway i'm gonna get off to bed now, will update(or panic again) tomorrow.

p.s i know not to go near the nest, thats about the only thing i knew before coming on here lol and no she aint pulled fur out yet

goodnight and thanks to all that have helped so far :)

Okay, thats good she is inside. Just keep her warm and quiet and all should be okay!

Best of luck! :):wave:

who's sooz?

:wave: I am.

I live in Sheffield too (S11) so if you need any help feel free to PM me, though you have already been given some very good advice in this thread....especially from Julia.

Nothing to add at this time m'laud :)

hi there. goodluck with everything i hope she gives birth safetly. you have been given some good advice ..sooz is a very knowledgable rabbit rescuer who will likely help you sex them if needs be and any q's im sure she will help!!!! :)

when it does come time to rehome the kits around 8 weeks old try to ensure you put a price for tehm to discourage people taking them free for the wrong reasons.... give information leaflets saying about speying females and how it stops uterine cancer which is so commen, and about vaccinations and the space requriements a bun needs(6x2x2ft hutch attatched to a 6x6ft run or a large indoor cage ideally a dog crate with attatched run or free range time.alternativly maybe a rescue or on rabbits in need on here can help to get them the good homes i know you want for tehm.. hey maybe you can keep one or 2 of the girls(if get mum and the girls speyed) and have them liveing together ofr company? anyhows im sure you will cross that bridge when it comes to it....good luck xxx

Peaceful birthing vibes for your bunny :)
Also in respect of the nest building, alot of younger buns will tend to build there nest a bit later. My girl Piper built hers an hour before she gave birth :shock: She also didnt wanna be touched and was generally making a big old fuss when anyone went near the cage.
Id also suggest (if its an indoor cage) part covering it for some privacy, and leaving her to give birth in peace (in an empty room or a bedroom)
We had Piper in the passage but stopped people coming through the passage and front door so the passage was quiet :) Piper actually give birth when we left the house, and by the time we'd come back (30ish mins) shed given birth to 8 gorgeous kits!

Back