• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matted hair and soft poo

amycraig66

Warren Scout
Hey,

My little Alfie is a white Lionhead and has a BIG personality. I brush him weekly and this he lets me do and it seems he likes it. However, I can not get any where near his tummy or back end to brush. My partner holds him for me and I try my best to brush what I can but it's not always successfull. This evening when I went to brush him I found some soft poo stuck to his bum. I managed to remove most of it and washed him but i didn't get as much as I wanted.
Anyone have any tips on how to brush his tummy and bum easily? I also think that he's not washing his bum properly...

Thanks

Amy

In the morning I give him pellets and some brocolli and then he has hay - which I top up Am and PM.
Occasionally I give him little treats called 'munches' which are meant to be good for his teeth.
When ever I notice he has soft poo I always cut down on his pellets but that doesn't really stop the poo sticking and matting etc.

ARe those night time poos? That is, the sticky ones?

If not, kill all the greens and fruits for 5 days and see what happens. Pellet is dry, thus, it simply can't cause soft poos, it's not possible

Can you ask your Vet to clip the fur around his back end ?

If he is getting mucky and reducing his concentrated feed does not resolve things then I would also ask your Vet to check Bun over for any problems, especially Dental ones. Lionheads are a breed prone to Dental problems because of the shape of their skull.

Good luck :)

I had this problem with Scampi a couple of months back. We washed him and dried him and then just used small clippers to clip away his hair around his bum (being careful not to go too close to the delicate parts!). I cut down his pellets and ever since he has been fine. Although like Happy Hopping said they are dry, they are also too high in protein for Scamps and so this was what was making his poo softer than normal. Since cutting his pellets right down he has had nice dry round poos (apart from now he is ill) :(

Back