• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost my Bunny, should i rescue another?

Bhm1712

Young Bun
i lost my Ally yesterday and to me she seemed like the best bun in the world, i have had several buns before and none were quite like Ally. she was so friendly and relaxed around me and my family. she would even run upstairs and jump onto my bed, and lie next to me to get warm. she lived outside in summer time, but always got brought inside to play and had loads of free range time in the garden. In winter she lived inside as a house bunny and had free run of the conservatory whilst i was at work. She enjoyed running around the house, sleeping in dark corners, lying in front of the tv, on the sofa with us etc.... she used to lick us like crazy and then lie down waiting for us to rub her nose.

she got ill a week ago, she started to pant all the time and couldnt run about much. She was still bright, but just didnt have any energy to be as playful. her whole body used to rock and sway with her breathing. She even began to mouth breathe after walking into the living room. The vets diagnosed cancer and we decided to let her go to prevent any pain and suffering, a house move was coming up this week and the stress of going on a long car journey and then being put in a new place would have probably made her worse. It all seemed so sudden as, the previous week she had been ok.

She has gone to the bridge now

i miss her so much already knowing that she wont be at home when i return from being out, and she wont be able to lick my hand expecting a nose rub.
the fact is, i love rabbits and love them being around. Would it be too soon to rescue another bunny?
im afraid of forgetting Ally, or always comparing a new bun to her. The fact remains, that i really want to get a new bun! but its only been a 36 hours!

what should i do?

First of so sorry for your loss :(

I think it would be a tribute to Ally to provide a rescue bun with a safe, loving home. Why not go along to a rescue and meet some of the buns? It might take a couple of weeks to adopt anyway, you'll know when you meet the right bun.

All bunnies have different personalties.You will never get another Ally but a different bun with his/her own personality which you would love just as much.When maizey died I was so heart broken and thought I could never love a bunny as much as him,I then got Bugsy he was completely different to Maizey but I loved that bunny so much.

so very sorry for your loss.
She will always have a special place your heart and you won;t ever forget the times you had with Ally.
Another bun would not be replacing Ally, but a fitting tribute to her.
All bunnies have their unique personalities and I'm sure when the time is right another bun will come along and "pick" you to take them home!!!
Rescues will be able to help you when you feel ready to rehome another. You will know when the time is right.

Good luck

if your ready now get a new bunny asap.. you probably will compare them but i think thats human nature, but your new bunny will have a whole new set of qualities for you to fall in love with..

i honestly beleive i will never be bunless ever, so that would mean a new bunny straight away and i dont think that would be too soon.

lots of pictures in photo frames will help you to remeber your beautiful little bunny

im so sorry for your loss xxxxxxx

You obviously feel ready to have another bunny, so go for it.

I'm pretty sure that the right bunny is sitting in a rescue right now waiting for you. You'll know the moment you see him/her. ;)

Hey I know exactly how you feel we lost our fee range house bun Dixie 5 weeks ago, we are bunless:( and the house is so quiet. Its been such a hard few weeks without him but like you I am not to sure what to do. I keep expecting him to follow me into the kitchen or something!

Since we lost him i've become a little obsessed with RU looking at the buns in need and reading about all the good things that rescues all over the country are doing to help our rabbits. I suppose it boils down to one thing can you see yourself never having another rabbit?
I know i can't but i also know that i'm not ready....not yet anyway, i know we will never replace Dixie but i also know we can give a good home to a rescue rabbit allowing a rescue the space to take another bun.

Good luck with your decision and keep us posted i bet it will be sooner rather than later x

. i am so sorry for your loss :( hugz xx
i thikn only you know whats rightas long as you dont expect hthe new bunny to be the smae as ally then i think it is a ncie tribute to her. ensure that whatever bun you bring home you clean the old hutch/cage throuroughly jsut in case there was a more underlying cause to allys demise(i dont mean for that to sound heartless just to prevent any problems with a new bun)
i dont knwo if it began as uterine cancer or not but any future buns get them neuterd(or adopt from a rescue where they will be already neutered) as this prevents uterine cancer.

also it would be great if you could adopt a special needs pair such as these who really really need that special second chacne
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=155804
i hope you find the right buns for you good luck also if a bun far off catches your eye you can stil rehome them as a bunny run can be organised xxx

Back